Should/Could Lincoln Falls be converted into an ice park?

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Nov 5, 2012
How I Send

First thing's first. Hats off and many, many thanks to the guys who have put in their free time and hard work to re-farm Lincoln Falls.

That being said, Every CO Ice Season, I read about the crowds and the noobs and the unsafe antics that go on at Lincoln. I have come to expect and tolerate bad behavior and unsafe climbing practices there.

It is understandable. Lincoln is a great place to learn, lots of low angle moderate ice that is easily TR'd. I led my first multi-pitch ice climb there years ago. I enjoy going back at the beginning every season to knock the dust off my swing, for the same reasons as the beginners - a great place to practice and learn how to ice climb.

Because of the farming and the crowds Lincoln attracts, would it be feasible to try to convert it into an ice park? Not even sure how to go about it, so I put it to the hoards - any thoughts?

By David Appelhans
From Lafayette
Nov 5, 2012
Imaginate

Shouldn't everyone stop talking about farming? Isn't this what happened in Boulder Canyon?

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Nov 5, 2012
How I Send

David Appelhans wrote:

There's a big difference in how Lincoln and BoCan are farmed, one comes from snow melt - the other came from "stealing."

By Buff Johnson
Nov 5, 2012
smiley face

in a month, nobody will really give a crap about lincoln.

vail, though, that's a park.

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Nov 5, 2012
How I Send

Buff Johnson wrote:
in a month, nobody will really give a crap about lincoln.

I will always give a crap about Lincoln! Vail is way better though.

By iceman777
From Colorado Springs
Nov 8, 2012

ok build a road to the base of the climbs first , I hate the post holing through deep snow.

ahhh just my .02

I like Lincoln ,but Buff is right .good for the rest of us who like Lincoln falls eh?

AND A HUGE THANK YOU !!!!! to all the Ice Technicians

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Nov 8, 2012
How I Send

By J Antin
From Denver, CO
Nov 8, 2012
First morning at Indian Creek!!!

Tits McGee wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing trail improvements before, during and after the boulderfield. The approach is short, but annoying no matter what time of year. Better belay areas would be cool too. Basically, I would love to create a place for all of the beginners so they stay away from VAIL!

Isn't that what BoCan and Silverplume are.....

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Nov 8, 2012
Bocan

AntinJ wrote:
Isn't that what BoCan and Silverplume are.....

When they form up. Since they plugged the pipe in Bocan, there's not a ton and what's left gets knocked down. I look at those pictures and video from back in the day and it's amazing the size of the ice falls.

Silver plume hasn't seem to come in really big in while. I'm sure that's caused by the warmer winters and certainly the gazillion classes that go up there beating it to death. Climb till it gets hot, smash it all down.

It's always a race to knock everything down.

By Legs Magillicutty
From Littleton
Nov 8, 2012
Function over fashion.  My newest pair of climbing shoes.

P.S. Thank you ice farmers.

By John Fatseas
From Denver, CO
Nov 8, 2012
Lake City, CO <br />mixin it up

Legs Magillicutty wrote:
I have serious question that is probably going to cause me to get thrashed. I'm not trying to piss anyone off. I can't help it. Why must everything be made so easy? Lincoln rests on the side of one of Colorado's highest peaks. Yes, the approach can be a pain. True, the belay stances are not the best. But we're talking about ice climbing. Isn't that dangerous anyway? Instead of making an area more user friendly, how about the users become more accustomed to climbing ice in the mountains. . .since that IS where they are climbing. P.S. Thank you ice farmers.

Not a bad question.

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Nov 8, 2012
How I Send

Lincoln should become the bright shiny object that distracts the noobs from Vail.

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Nov 8, 2012
Chillin' at City of Rocks

No matter what, parking will always be an issue at either place. Private property, golf courses, dams, water rights etc etc etc. I don't foresee Lincoln ever being an ice park, and Vail.....well it is what it is.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Nov 8, 2012
Bocan

Princess Mia wrote:

Well technically it's not a parking issue at Lincoln. The peak as well as Bross and Cameron are all owned by the mining companies. The town of Alma leases the first two for a paltry sum in exchange for the reduced liablity the town offers.

Tits had a good suggestion to combat that problem, however that private property issue is pretty much the ball and chain.

By Buff Johnson
Nov 8, 2012
smiley face

Next year, we put in the hot springs

By Taylor-B.
From CO & AK
Nov 8, 2012
Mt. Churchill, University Range

The best way to help Lincoln is to bring a jet-boil and a funnel!

By Legs Magillicutty
From Littleton
Nov 9, 2012
Function over fashion.  My newest pair of climbing shoes.

Ah tits! I see what you did there. I'm a little slow. hahaha!

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Nov 9, 2012
How I Send

Legs Magillicutty wrote:
Ah tits! I see what you did there. I'm a little slow. hahaha!

Maybe I should have titled the thread - SAVE VAIL, CONVERT LINCOLN INTO AN ICE PARK NOW!

By Taylor-B.