Should I expect to be affected by the elevation at Ten Sleep?

By Short Beta
From Troy, MI
Jun 25, 2014
Leading a 10 at Chocolate Factory
First trip to Ten Sleep is coming up and just not sure what to expect as I'm definitely not used to climbing at high elevation levels. The Red River Gorge is my go-to climbing location and that's not even an issue there. Have people found it more taxing on the body to hike and climb there, or will I be totally fine if I'm in good shape?

By mtnsoceans
From Ivins, Utah
Jun 25, 2014
Castor or Pollux -I forget- Seneca 1976
The climbing there isn't too high. That said, different folks acclimatize at different rates, so go easy the first couple days. Drink lots of fluid ( not meaning alcohol ) and you should be fine. There's also some lower crags that you might want to climb at early, which will help with the process. Have fun! It's a great place.....

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Jun 25, 2014
El Chorro
Can't really give a better answer than that. You'll probably notice something the first day or two, bu stay hydrated and take it easy. Alcohol is more effective as well, so maybe don't over do it the first night.

FWIW, I spent a lot of time at or near sea level before going to City of Rocks. I landed at SLC, and was cragging a few hours later, so no accl. time. I'm homestly not sure of the elevations of CoR or Ten Sleep but I definitely noticed the elevation on the first couple of hard routes I did. That hasn't happened before when I have driven out west. Driving out helps for sure.

By Short Beta
From Troy, MI
Jun 25, 2014
Leading a 10 at Chocolate Factory
Thanks for the input, sounds like it's nothing I can't handle. I am driving there from Michigan, so I'll have a good ease into it. No promises on the no drinking suggestion though, I'm supposed to arrive there on 4th of July ;)

By dan zika
From jax wy
Jun 26, 2014
tower fever <br />
10sleep canyon starts at 4500 & mondo & fcr at 9000 so you will have a little trouble

By frankstoneline
Jun 26, 2014
Last summer went from 400 feet to climbing at wild iris (9000+ feet) with almost no time to acclimatize, definitely noticed it but nothing horrible. As was mentioned, issues such as minor dehydration which may have been easily overlooked and climbed through back home may be more crippling but thats about it (in my experience).