Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Short off gully fixed rope

By Tylerclimb
From Huntersville, North Carolina
Feb 26, 2014

Anyone been in there this season? I haven't been since early winter. The fixed line was in really bad shape at the time and i was wondering if it had been changed out yet? I'm headed up sat. And was going to bring a new rope for it but don't want to drag it all the way up if it's been changed already.

By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Feb 27, 2014
Me on One Pitch Wonder at Whitesides.  Photo credits to Kyle Jones and his lucky anti-rain jacket.

Many people rap in from the tree before you reach the final gully. When you are going down the first gully, you make a hard left to get to the "shimmy" tree. At that hard left, walk straight to the edge and that is the tree i am referring to. There are no slings on it, but it could use some to save the bark. This decent prevents you from getting soaked! Have fun down there.

By Drew Hayes
From Charlotte, NC
Feb 27, 2014
Lost in Space

I wish I'd known about that rap last time I went. The icy gully was a lot of fun to get down. The fixed line was frozen over at the bottom and I couldn't pull enough slack to rap.

By Tylerclimb
From Huntersville, North Carolina
Feb 27, 2014

Thanks Tom. I like the waterfall it's faster and I don't have to mess with my rope until I'm ready to climb. I might bring an extra length and put it up on the tree also. I'm pretty skilled at getting down that waterfall without getting wet.

By Tylerclimb
From Huntersville, North Carolina
Feb 27, 2014

Dang drew. Was it still that crappy blue rope?

By Drew Hayes
From Charlotte, NC
Feb 27, 2014
Lost in Space

No, there's a newer green static line. From what I could see it looks to be in good shape.

By kidda
From Boone, NC
Feb 27, 2014

The green rope was put up one day last December by a party approaching in front of us.

By Tylerclimb
From Huntersville, North Carolina
Feb 28, 2014

Ok great. I'll save mine for the next time it needs replacing.

By Chris Massey
Mar 7, 2014

Did you notice if the tree Tom references had slings? If not I am headed there Sunday and may leave some on it. With all this rain I may want to avoid the lower gully.

By Tylerclimb
From Huntersville, North Carolina
Mar 7, 2014

I ended up at the bald all day sat rope climbing and at the end of the day we thought we would boulder a bit. I ended up hurting my knee by missing the pads. So I didn't feel I could make the hike in. I planed on going this weekend but not sure how it will be with the rain/snow they got. Might just head to the glass or the bald.

By nbrown
From western NC
Mar 7, 2014
Top of Shortoff with the Bonsai

Was there yesterday but didn't notice the rap tree. However, there was a rope in the gully.

We really need a better alternative to leaving lines in the gully - they have to be replaced constantly because the vermin chew them up in very short time.

Maybe I'll try to find a big dead tree to use and re-create the ladder that used to be there

By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Mar 8, 2014

NCTRAD wrote:

The tree i mentioned shouldn't have slings. People were just running the rope behind it. A ladder? How about some bolts on that big boulder before the shimmy tree... About the same visual impact.

By Chad Laflamme
From Plymouth, NH
Mar 8, 2014
route finding on whitehorse is cake...

By Chris Massey
Mar 9, 2014

Chad Laflamme wrote:
I was up at shortoff 3 weeks ago and there was a rap station (webbing and a ring) setup around a large tree near that last little scramble section at the bottom. Once you approach the last scramble if you just stay right you will get the view of Dopey Duck, then hook back left and you will see the large tree. We made it down with a single 70m rap. Looks like a 60 would have been a stretch. Rap stations, while seeming like leaving garbage behind do tend to extend the life of the tree. Seemed like a great thing to me.

Followed your directions. Worked like a charm. My first time there so I cant comment on whether or not it is better that the standard lower gully decent. We did it twice, once for Manginot and second time for Dopey Duck. I added some webbing and a second rap ring to the tree to supplement what was already there. Should be good to go for the spring season.