Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Short bed tacoma livin?

By Sisyphus
From here and there
Feb 18, 2013
willie

Im looking into purchasing an older 4dr short bed tacoma, the model before they put long beds on em. Any one have any experience living out of one. Im 5'9 and hoping I can sleep diagonally across the bed on a platform built above the wheel wells. Ive lived out of reg bed tacoma and T100 for a long time pretty comfortably, but not sure on this one. I will be traveling for school for several months at a time and looking to save some $$$ on rent. Any info would be appreciated, and I should mention that I need the 4dr for the family otherwise Id just go with the extended cab.
Thanks
Chad

By frankstoneline
Feb 18, 2013

www.toyota.com/tacoma/features.html#!/dimensions/7103/7113/7>>>

based on their bed dimensions it looks like you could sleep comfortably. A quick calculation based on a 16" wide sleeping space suggests diagonally you should have ~78.8". (you could lay a 16" X 78" sleeping mat diagonally without folding the corners).

By Sisyphus
From here and there
Feb 18, 2013
willie

Thanks frank! Was really hoping to hear from someone with experience but i may have to go off the math.

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Feb 18, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!

My grandpa has that model. I tried sleeping in it once, and was not too impressed (I have the standard two-door, six foot bed). Get it if you need to for the family, but sleeping in the back in any sort of camper set up would be a pain in the ass, especially with more than one person.

You could see what types of extendable camper shells they make, though.

By Jonathan Petsch
From Chattanooga, TN
Feb 18, 2013

I have one of the newer short beds. I made a loft that has a flip up extendable section about as long as the tailgate. The only bad part is you cant sleep with the gate closed, but I have a tarp that goes over a tent pole rigged up over the back. Its comfortable with two people. If I am by myself I can close the gate and the topper and sleep diagonal fairly comfortable (I'm about the same height as you). Here's a photo, dont know if it'll help.

Loft situation: there are hinges on those vertical 2x4's so they fold up
Loft situation: there are hinges on those vertical 2x4's so they fold up

By Steve Bond
Feb 18, 2013
Photo.

Just saw Jonathan's post after I posted, hence mine is a moot point. Nice design Jonathan.

By frankstoneline
Feb 18, 2013

Sisyphus wrote:

Of note: I made the assumption that the listed dimensions are the internal dimensions and neglected to factor in a lip around the bed (though that wouldnt likely be a huge issue and a human is shaped very differently from a 16" wide rectangle).

Do they make the tacoma with the second half doors? I don't know what they are actually called, maybe a crew cab or some shit? the doors that swing back after you open the front doors?

By Sisyphus
From here and there
Feb 19, 2013
willie

thanks for the input guys. Jonathan, like the extendable platform, its definitely gonna happen. Camhead-yeah wish i could just go with the reg bed but with carseats in back of my T100 just took too much space and the tacomas are smaller.
thanks again

By Aerili
From Salt Lake City, UT
Feb 20, 2013
Duck face with Largo

I have this truck and I don't think you're going to like sleeping in the back unless the tailgate is down. I have slept in the back of mine with the gate up and I barely fit (I am 5'6"). Granted, I use a huge sleeping pad when I am car camping which definitely makes it a tigher squeeze but, regardless, I don't think an additional 3" of flesh and bone is going to feel that comfy even with a shorter or thinner pad.

The problem is the wheel well humps. They make it hard to take advantage of the diagonal space potentially available.

By TWK
Feb 20, 2013

My 08 4 door Tacoma was available as either a "Sport" (longer bed--about 6'6" I think) and "Off-road" (shorter bed). Due to the uselessness of the shorter bed on the Off Road package, I went with the Sport. It's long enough for me to sleep in at almost 6'.

The key to any of this is to build a good platform (with well-thought-out personalized storage) just above the wheel wells, and buy a high-rise camper shell to make up for the lost height inside when you raise the platform.

As far as not having the "Off Road" version, I haven't felt the need to take my truck anywhere that the Sport can't get to. It's damn sure-footed, has great clearance, and more than adequate departure angle.

My other truck has the weird backwards-opening "suicide doors" and I find them awkward with no particular benefit.