Shooting/Hunting-why do you do it?
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By David Rivers
East Beach bouldering

I went shooting w/my sister-in-law's brother this summer. We spent 4 hours shooting a Beretta 92FS 9 mm, Remington 7600 .270, and a 12 gauge shotgun. It was the first time I'd been out since I was a kid shooting at my neighbors', and the first time ever shooting a pistol. It was enjoyable and troubling(sobering is a better word) at the same time. Since than I've been pondering purchasing both a pistol and a hunting rifle. I guess the crux for me is the philosophical justification. Simply exercising my 2nd Amendment rights may be enough, but I'd like to ask veteran shooters and hunters why you do it. How much time do you spend honing your skills vs time spent at other pursuits like climbing, biking,surfing, etc. What safety measures do you take in storage? I have lots of other questions, but will start w/these.

Thanks,
Dave

By Buff Johnson
smiley face

As far as safety, you probably want a gun safe. Keep mags and guns separated to prevent accidents. I think training & practice are important in proper use of fire arms as well as gun safety education.

Hunting is a matter of proper land conservation and I feel should be supported as a normal part of herd control. I think most that participate in hunting are incredibly conservation responsible about their mannerisms when participating in this activity. They are usually experienced or with someone experienced. Certainly exceptions exist, maybe a game warden knows better about what they actually see.

Recreational target shooting is certainly enjoyable, it's expensive though; but it's fun.

Overall, I have no problem with guns used responsibly, which they are frequently used in my area, a rural/mountainous environment. Urban is different; I guess if I felt a gun was needed in an urban setting, maybe it's better not to be in that setting. Maybe it's just me, but I do feel safer at a gun show than at the airport.

Philosophically, guns are guns, they are not good or bad. They are just not toys and should be respected. Teaching kids early on about them is important, I feel.

By Robert 560
From The Land of the Lost
Secret Crag

Why do I shoot; because I enjoy it. I don't hunt.

How often; 1000 rounds a month give or take.

What safety measures do I take; I keep all my guns locked in a safe except what I carry and I always carry something.

Go ahead Mountain Project peeps, flame on!

By Tim Davis
From Atlanta
Sep 7, 2010

I like to hunt, because it is a way for me to get local organic meat. I am a vegetarian for environmental reasons, but I make an exception for locally harvested fish and game.

By David Rivers
East Beach bouldering

Thanks Mark and Robert. Robert, I am a "Lefty". Mark, the person I was shooting w/this summer has extensive training and that was the first thing that struck me as necessary. He does not go out just to blast through a box of ammo, but sets an agenda for the day to work on skills.

By mattnorville
Ship's Prow.

Tim Davis wrote:

What's the definition of vegetarian again? Just saying

By JamesD

Robert 560 wrote:

Signed,

By Choss Chasin'
From Torrance, CA
Black Mountain

Tim Davis wrote:

This quote = not a vegetarian.

• EDIT* To the left wing basher. I'm a left leaning moderate, and your a fool.

By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Sep 7, 2010

As a left leaning gun owner, I especially take exception to the notion that leftists in particular hate or fear guns. I've been around guns my entire life.

I got into shooting because of family traditions. I inherited all three of my firearms. I stayed in because target shooting was fun, and hunting was one of many things my dad and I could do together (climbing was another). I still support hunting, though I've not had the time or means to hunt in nearly a decade, because herbivore populations don't have a stable equilibrium in the absence of predators. Since we killed off the wolves, and did our best to kill off the cougars, bears, lynx, and most everything else, we can either watch the herds destroy the ecosystem, or we can take over as keystone predator until such time as we pull our collective heads out of our asses and support the reintroduction of keystone predator species. I'm looking at you, Yellowstone area ranchers.

Sorry, I got off on a rant there. Even in a gun friendly area like Wyoming, it can be considered in poor taste to flaunt a firearm. So unless you have cause to use it in short order, a gun case is nice. I keep the ammunition in a separate room from the guns, and I make sure that everybody who is living with me knows where such things are, again, in case of an accident. To be honest, in your home, guns are a lot like hazardous chemicals. Properly stored, properly used, they don't pose much threat. But if you have curious kids, or a fire breaks out or something, you don't want to be caught by surprise.

As far as self defense goes, I've found that its always easier to just avoid the areas and situations where you need it, rather than coming strapped and looking for a fight. If you truly understand the obligation that comes with carrying, your first tactical thought should be "how can I avoid a fight?" rather than "who do I shoot first?".

By Tim Davis
From Atlanta

mattnorville wrote:
What's the definition of vegetarian again? Just saying

Hahaha. You've got me, this is a contradictory statement. We'll call it a "time, place, or manner, exception". So there are different definitions of what a vegetarian is and is not. I am a vegetarian most of the time, but I am not when I harvest something locally. I assume that you would rather me say I only eat veggies (in lieu of calling myself a 'vegetarian'), unless I shoot a deer and eat it. I apologize to any purists I offended. I guess I shouldn't label myself as a vegetarian.

By Tim Davis
From Atlanta

Choss Chasin' wrote:
This quote = not a vegetarian. I see nothing wrong with owning guns and using them for protection/stress relief (as in shooting your annoying neighbor, haha, I'm kidding, I think). I keep a pistol near my bed at night, mostly because I don't live in the greatest of areas, nor the worst. I will usually bring it camping but I keep the mag separate and in a locked box whenever I am not near it. I don't tend to shoot it often. I don't agree with recreational hunting. Yes, I am a REAL vegetarian but even before I was I did not like the idea of going into somethings habitat and killing it for fun. I would however prefer that a person hunt their own meat from a well regulated populace of animals instead of purchasing it from a store. *EDIT* To the left wing basher. I'm a left leaning moderate, and your a fool.

I didn't know how to quote two posts in my posts, so please see the above. I apologize for labeling myself incorrectly.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face

mattnorville wrote:
What's the definition of vegetarian again? Just saying

There's also the reverse definition -- should a vegan hottie inquire about my dietary preference; oh hell yes I'm a vegetarian!

By Robert 560
From The Land of the Lost
Secret Crag

JamesD wrote:
So you jump to attack and stereotype a huge group of people, when not one of those people had said anything at all about their opinions on guns or hunting, and you're making it out like "your side" are somehow the victims? Signed, Left leaning person who has no problem with guns but has a huge problem with ignorant jerks who stereotype and attack people without provocation just because they happen to have different political affiliations.

So where was the attack? Sorry if I offended your narrow minded liberal thinking.

By Choss Chasin'
From Torrance, CA
Black Mountain

Robert 560 wrote:
Be careful if you decide to purchase a gun and post here, You will get scorned by the left thinking masses. Go ahead Mountain Project peeps, flame on!

There is your attack, now stop trolling for anger. I will not reply to you again.

By Bawls E. Climber

Choss Chasin' wrote:

LOL!! You're the one who sounds angry, I agree with Robert.

By Robert 560
From The Land of the Lost
Secret Crag

johnL wrote:
Hey look, another attack.

Sorry John, I'll try and be nice.

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Bucky

Robert 560 wrote:

People are going to flame you for writing drivel like what you posted above and not for owning a gun. Also, keep in mind that not all of us communist pinkos are against guns...

By David Rivers
East Beach bouldering

OK, guys, just what I didn't want to happen, but knew would. I am looking for some insights, not a bunch of mud slinging.

Gun ownership/use is a huge responsibility, I'm trying to decide whether I want to take on that responsibility or not. I have killed and butchered small animals(rabbits) before and know that taking that type of responsibility for one's meat supply is also very sobering. So a rifle would be for hunting food and a pistol for shooting w/my friend and for if the world truly went to hell in a hand basket I guess.

By Eric Krantz
From Black Hills
smoke break, pitch 5 or 6 (or 7??) of Dark Shadows

Another left-leaning gun owner here. (Robert, we have you surrounded!)

I don't hunt because most of the guys I work with are hunters and they have extra deer every year, and offer them up. Otherwise I would hunt, but I'd get it done fast. I like the meat, but couldn't be bothered to hunt with a gun. And that's the only reason I would shoot. I guess shooting guns doesn't give me an erection.

If I started hunting again I think I'd choose a bow. I particularly admire the ability of a few of my coworkers to kill an antelope with a bow. Now THAT takes skill.

By Eric Krantz
From Black Hills
smoke break, pitch 5 or 6 (or 7??) of Dark Shadows

David Rivers wrote:
I went shooting w/my sister-in-law's brother this summer.

Wouldn't that be your husband? OK, sorry, couldn't help it.

David Rivers wrote:
Simply exercising my 2nd Amendment rights may be enough

I don't think that's justification, because I don't think the 2nd amendment is at risk, at all. Granted I'm in a hunting state, but by far most lefties I know are fans of individual's gun rights. I've heard a load from the right during the last election about how the 2nd amendment was at risk. Now, no one is even talking about it. It's just not on the left agenda, but you'd think there's a fight because of a few paranoid nuts who won't stop talking about how it's being threatened. The right "won" the war that never was, and is still shooting at nothing.

David Rivers wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "honing your skills", but if it means marksmanship.... you can be a so-so shot and bring a deer home every time, AND shoot a burglar from 20 feet if that's your thing. There's no need to be able to hit a sparrow from 600 yards.

By Pete Elliott
From Co Spgs CO

David Rivers wrote:
It was the first time I'd been out since I was a kid shooting at my neighbors,

Didja hit 'em?

By Sam Stephens
Top half of Melifluous

Brian Scoggins wrote:

I feel like it's necessary for me to comment on this.

I shoot because I carry. I go to the range to train. I work on things that I've been taught and things that I feel are appropriate to have wired into muscle memory with my guns.

The reason I chose to start carrying a gun is simple. I was at Virginia Tech when 32 of my classmates were shot dead in a place that was supposed to be as close to conflict free as you can get without going to a monastery. I listened to a police scanner a building away as it all happened and I saw the footage of the police waiting outside. They didn't do anything to help anyone inside and I made up my mind right then that I wasn't ever going to rely on anyone else if I ever crossed that close to a situation where deadly force was needed again.

The first year I was at Tech, a convict at a hospital shot and killed a sheriff.

The second year Cho tore up 32 of my classmates.

The third year a guy cut off a girls head in a dining area in front of other students.

The fourth year two kids were killed camping ten miles from campus.

It's a personal decision that I've battled with time and time again, but I don't leave the house without my gun unless I know I'm going to have a drink while I'm out or I'm going to work where no one gets in or out without a background check and being checked in or out of the area.

I don't have a gun within arms reach every day because I'm paranoid, but because I've seen bad things happen that I don't want to encounter unarmed should I have the unfortunate fate of encountering such a circumstance ever again in my life. I battle with feeling like I need to be able to defend myself and contradicting that with my belief that most people are inherently good. For a while it was a struggle that I'd go back and forth on and I eventually came to terms with the fact that bad things don't happen when you expect them. They happen when you're not ready and when you are least prepared. That's why I'm always prepared.

For what it's worth I'm now a VT Alumnus.

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
rockerwaves

mattnorville wrote:
What's the definition of vegetarian again? Just saying

The Indians definition of a vegetarian is: Bad Hunter.

By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Sep 8, 2010

Sam Stephens wrote:
I go to the range to train. I work on things that I've been taught and things that I feel are appropriate to have wired into muscle memory with my guns. I understand the obligation that comes with my carrying a firearm, and I don't seek out fights or bad situations.

This is typically differentiates a person who carries openly and a person who carries concealed (I assume you've a ccw permit?). To my way of thinking, the only reason to open carry is because you feel like you need the protection, but couldn't get the ccw for whatever reason. Basically, if you want the protection but aren't willing to spend the hours every week keeping sharp enough that the weight on your hip will matter a damn, then there is absolutely no reason to get a firearm for self defense. That is, you're more likely to kill the family dog thinking its a burglar than to ever defend your family from a threat. Anybody who thinks the presence of a gun can de-escalate a situation must, of necessity, believe that guns should be scary. The only way a gun can consistently de-escalate a situation is via its discharge into an aggressor. To depend on it to defuse a situation in any other way is irresponsible.

That rigorous training schedule is the primary reason I don't own a handgun. I can't justify the expenditure on a personal defense weapon if I don't have the time to make it more useful fired than thrown.

By Sam Stephens
Sep 8, 2010
Top half of Melifluous

I carry openly when I have to. In VA you had to open carry into anywhere that served alcohol until recently. When I was going through Yellowstone and Teton I open carried because Wyoming doesn't reciprocate my VA permit but they allow open carry. As many here may well be aware national parks are now under the firearms laws according to the state they are located in.

Lots of times my method of carry is dictated by the weather as well. If it's cold out I'll tuck my shirt behind my gun and toss my jacket on. If I have to go into somewhere and get too hot for just unzipping my jacket I don't mind having the butt of the gun in front of my shirt. I don't do it to intimidate by any means, I just do it when necessary.

Obligatory picture of my newest addition. This was a graduation present from my parents and yes, I do carry this one and I can hide it quite well without anyone knowing.

1911