Shenanigans Slot Canyon Video

By Jason Kaplan
From Glenwood ,Co
Aug 4, 2012
avitar pic <br />

We did this canyon during spring break, shot video that I never thought I would be able to use (due to lack of editing skills and programs) well I just got a job with the Access Fund on the conservation team and I am going to be producing the videos. This was some practice for me to learn the new software. This is pretty rough as it was a first go of the program, but not too bad.

Let me know what you think, what you like or don't like (I'm guessing the shaky sped up footage isn't liked, and it's not something that I plan to replicate for the Access Fund videos, just the nature of the video shot in the canyons, also guessing the triple video frame won't be liked so much). I didn't do a very good job of pre editing the footage (snipping out bad footage), I was merely trying to get used to the programs features in a quick manner over a couple hours.

By eggman
Aug 4, 2012

nice job getting your stuff through the end slot.

By Jason Kaplan
From Glenwood ,Co
Aug 4, 2012
avitar pic <br />

Thanks, it was a bit of a concern as I had a tripod, 2 flashes, remotes, 2 lenses and a canon 7d... I feel like the footage is decent when you take into consideration I was filming with the 7d in hand dragging all that crap. Any feedback on the video/ editing?

By eggman
Aug 4, 2012

it's tricky filming video w those DSLR's without a bunch of user movement. Image stabilizing software works pretty well, but an actual stabilizer mount for your camera works awesome, especially in those caves or canyons when you're doing lots of banging around.
Also, I think less is more. You can shoot hours of footage and only have a few minutes of money shots. When I only use the money shots and eliminate all the jive, edits usually turns out way better. What if you only used your best footage from shenanigans, and slowed it down a bit, so the viewer could better take in such a beautiful slot. I bet your vid would flow better....
I've always thought that some flash work would be cool in some of those dark Zion rooms but haven't tried myself. Did the colors wash out on you?

By Jason Kaplan
From Glenwood ,Co
Aug 4, 2012
avitar pic <br />

The flash worked beautifully for the stills, I used a diffuser with a gold reflector on it and adjusted the power and shutter speed till I got the desired effect, the tripod in the canyon was a bitch though, only had room to set it up once or twice... I agree about the less is more, this was a rushed push, not meant to be professional exactly, more to get a feel for the software, I don't know that I'll find the time to do this video the justice it should get.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Aug 4, 2012
tanuki

Let me preface my comments by saying that I just started working with video editing and I am not an expert. To me, the three separate frames on the screen was VERY distracting. It seems that you have a bunch of great footage. Maybe it would be better to pic your best segments rater than have three separate shots showing at the same time.

BTW, the canyon looks really cool!

By Olaf Mitchell