Share the Wealth. Please!

By mountainlion
Oct 1, 2012
I have been climbing in the Philippines for the last 4 months. There is a small climbing community here that shares all of thier gear. Literally one rope (ancient), 16 quickdraws , a couple harnesses, a few belay devices, and a few different pairs of worn out shoes.

Sad to say it but the country is in extreme poverty (way worse than what I experienced traveling to Tijuana Mexico. They do make use of gear that I would have long ago retired.

I have donated one climbing rope, one belay device, and 10 quickdraws. As well as the gear that I climb with myself. They are all very friendly and it feels like climbing at home.

If anyone has it in their heart to donate used gear please post up. I know that lots of us bought gear that we dont use (for example I have a belay tube device but use my ATC while the tube device sits in the bin, and old D biners that go unused since I upgraded to wire gate biners). I can provide a contact address as well as provide photographic evidence that the gear ended up in the hands of the needy climbers I am asking on behalf of.

The items most in need are shoes, harnesses, belay devices, carabiners or quickdraws, and rope. However bolts and hangars would be put to good use as well.

Thanks Eric Coffman

By mountainlion
Oct 3, 2012
Gear gathering dust in your bin? That gear could change someone's
life here. People here make about $8 a day for hard work and can't afford to use thier money on gear.

Think about how climbing has enriched your life.

Pay it forward!

Peace Eric

By mountainlion
Oct 3, 2012
I didn't know there was a free gear thread Tony.

If anyone is interested in paying it forward. Please send me a message.

Thanks

By mountainlion
Oct 4, 2012
Pay it forward.

Give someone without much joy in thier life the gift of climbing!

Band together if need be and make a difference.

Peace

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Oct 4, 2012
Chillin' at City of Rocks
I may have some belay pieces and other misc stuff that is in pretty good shape to donate. You got an address out there???
You should get on a Swedish climbing blog. Swedes are heading to that area in hordes these days and they may be able to deliver stuff. Just a thought.

By Eric Krantz
From Black Hills
Oct 5, 2012
smoke break, pitch 5 or 6 (or 7??) of Dark Shadows
I've got a potential resource for helmets and ropes, and maybe shoes and harnesses....

By Howrad McGreehan
Oct 5, 2012
I'll see what I can do at my local gym. We've got lots of old equipment, and I'll speak with some folks to see what their opinions are.

I'm just not sure it would be of value, it may be old and decrepid stuff; I'll check, though!

By mountainlion
Oct 6, 2012
That would be great Howard!

Old rope can be used to sling huecos (they call them "through and throughs here). The old biners can be used on anchor stations (right now all but the most used anchors are bolt hangers WITHOUT quicklinks or rap rings and they have been rapping off of them).

Here is my address for those who would like to contribute:

Eric Coffman zone 1-002 Dumlog Talisay City, Cebu Philippines zip code 6000

Thanks!

By Eric Coffman
Oct 8, 2012
mountainlion
Hi everybody,

Princess Mia I have a few people from Colorado on supertopo who are donating would you like to team up with them?

Eric it would be AMAZING if you had a helmet resource. My wife and I are the only climbers I have seen wear a helmet here because of the cost.

Thanks for everyone's effort and the good vibes.

Peace Eric

By Eric Coffman
Oct 9, 2012
mountainlion
Kick your karma up a notch so you can go for the long runouts on the proud routes!!

Do something selfless and give to others you don't even know.

It will make you feel good and may change someone's life halfway
around the world.

Peace Eric

By Cultivating Mass
Nov 14, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.

Now back to panhandling...

By Superclimber
Nov 14, 2012
PM sent. Thanks for the bump.

By Nate C
From Madison, WI
Nov 14, 2012
Longs Peak looming
Smarty Ports/Shants wrote:
Never trust someone who feels the need to post under two different names on the same website, or for that matter, one forum page. Now back to panhandling...

Interesting indeed...

By Salamanizer
From Vacaville Ca.
Nov 17, 2012
Sounds to me like Mountainlion is Erics wife and not a separate avatar for the same person.

Pictures of your decrepit gear situation and people climbing on said gear in the Philippines would help distill some trust.
With trust in where peoples donations are going and how they're to be used I'm sure the community could scrounge up a pretty hefty rack.

But if you're not willing to put in the little bit of work to make that happen, well...

By Eric Coffman
Nov 17, 2012
mountainlion
Thanks Salamanizer.

I also have a thread "spread the climbing wealth. Please" on supertopo.

The first package is estimated to arrive on Nov. 20 I will have a trip report ASAP on the gear distribution and use. I understand it is difficult to trust people you don't know especially over the internet.

Any and all donations are appreciated.

By Eric Coffman
Nov 27, 2012
mountainlion
Hey Everybody,

The first package shipped from the group on Supertopo just arrived. I will be distributing the gear on Saturday and Sunday. I will post up a trip report early next week.

Thanks Eric

By Rajiv Ayyangar
From Portland, ME
Nov 27, 2012
Cut! Sadly my flash attempt met with dismal pump-failure two bolts later.
Eric- thanks for getting this together. From my experience the most concerning aspect of Cantabaco is that some of the anchors are rings, on rope, with the rope threaded directly through sharp hangers.

Some gear, like carabiners/draws, are available here in limited quantity and extreme expense (+50-100% of US price). And some gear is just not possible to get here - shoes, rope, hangers. The result is that, while some climbers from the city or Manila (or travelers like me) have good gear, there is a lot of bad gear in people's racks and on the wall.

You can read more about the crag here: climbphilippines.com/climbing-...

And here: mountainproject.com/v/cantabac...

I'm here for 2 months for business, and I was expecting a crag good for a visit or two - maybe some interesting onsights. Instead I found a small but high-quality crag with engaging routes from 5.10+ to 5.13d/14a. There is significant breadth and depth in the 11, 12, and low 13 range. I feel truly lucky to have found this place.

There's also an annual festival (end of october/beginning of november) that benefits the crag: facebook.com/lustforlime

This year, around 100 climbers passed through at some point during the event. Most were from other islands, though some came as far away as California or in my case, Maine :)

In conclusion, your donations are exceedingly welcome, and will be put to use at an exceptional crag. Eric may be a relative newcomer to the crag, but he's consulting with some of the original developers and current locals to make the best use of the new gear.

This thread gives me so many warm fuzzy feelings about the international climbing community. WOOO CLIMBERS!

By Rajiv Ayyangar
From Portland, ME
Nov 27, 2012
Cut! Sadly my flash attempt met with dismal pump-failure two bolts later.
Here's a video on the vibe of the area from Dennis Diaz:

By Eric Coffman
Nov 27, 2012
mountainlion
Thanks Rajiv excellent post! I have received lots of donations to help with the gear shortage. We still are in dire need of hangers to replace the existing hangers that need replacement. I am trying to get hangers donated and if anyone has a connection for hangers or glue-in bolts it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Eric

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Mar 28, 2014
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering
Bumping this thread for now. My wife and I are thinking of doing our honeymoon in PI this coming September after I realized how cheap it is to stay at resorts there + finding that there is climbing in the PI. Anyways, I wanted to start up this thread again because I want to bring as much stuff with me to the PI this September to donate to the local climbing community (2 check in luggage at 50lbs each). I just want to see if there are people still out there willing to donate if I can contact the right people in the PI and see what kind of gear they still need. I will personally donate my 70m rope and couple quick draws. I'm willing to bring the gear with me to save on the shipment for it to get there. I'm going to try to start up a donation too at my local gym to see what I can come up with.

I know people mentioned about giving stuff to a random person here and not fully trusting them. I know people here that can vouch for me if that comes to mind.

Again this is just me thinking. I still have to verify with the wife if PI and Cambodia are our go to spot.