Shameless Self Promotion Post Here!
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Jul 20, 2013
I was pretty bummed when they didn't greenlight my "Bourne Identity" style reboot of The Eiger Sanction. This was from the rough draft's first act.

So, my climbing mentor started this website, it's kind of a Buzz Feed for climbing, if that makes any sense. Basically we're just trying to get a lot of fresh content up on a regular basis, something to kill time at work when the MP forums are slow.

Every saturday, I'm posting an article on Front Range climbing life, and during the week we'll be updating with videos and links from around the climbing web.

By Greg D
From Here
Jul 20, 2013
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

Don't mean to offend. Just trying to understand.

By The Blueprint Part Dank
Jul 20, 2013
Bohemian grove

Greg D wrote:
Just curious, why do people feel the need to promote climbing so much. It's already a CF out there. It's one thing if that is how you make a living. But, just for fun? Don't mean to offend. Just trying to understand.

Maybe the OP just like to write and wants people to read his stuff? Just a thought.

And I seriously doubt that that website makes anyone any money. I hope to god it's not the kid's job at least...

By The Blueprint Part Dank
Jul 20, 2013
Bohemian grove

I just read some stuff on there expecting some epicly awful bloginess to humor myself. It's no Atlantic Monthly, but it's fairly okay.

By Allen Corneau
From Houston, TX
Jul 20, 2013

Page doesn't even load for me.

Is this the link?

rockclimb.pro/i-can-haz-single-pitch/

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Jul 20, 2013
OTL

Greg D wrote:

I thought people climb to spray?
A crag or campfire has only so many followers. The interwebs: unlimited.

By Greg D
From Here
Jul 21, 2013
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

Matt N wrote:
I thought people climb to spray? A crag or campfire has only so many followers. The interwebs: unlimited.

Ah. I C.

By Brad Caldwell
From Deep in the Jocassee Gorges
Jul 21, 2013

Check out Cruxn.com ...its a great place for climbing writers to publish and get better exposure. There are a few dozen, give or take, writers that post a variety of articles on just about anything climbing. Might be a better outlet for your writing since it seems you're getting slow traffic to your site.

By CJC
Jul 21, 2013

The Blueprint Part Dank wrote:

nah it's pretty bad. you must have low standards.

but I'm sure his mom is impressed.

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado

CJC wrote:
nah it's pretty bad. you must have low standards. but I'm sure his mom is impressed.

Are you in Colorado? If so, why don't we find a place to meet so you can say that to my face instead of being a little bitch and insulting someone's work anonymously on the Internet.

By g.miller
Jul 24, 2013

hahahaha... ahh internet tough guys.. climbers are so gay.

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
Jul 24, 2013
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

willeslinger wrote:

Man, if you post your stuff up for consumption, you need to realize you're going to get feedback- both negative and positive. It comes with the territory. Don't be "that guy". Let them be that guy.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Brad Caldwell wrote:

Our climbing club, the Cliff Hangers Mountaineering Assoc.(named long before the Stallone movie), had a monthly xeroxed newsletter way before there was online internet info. We called the newspaper The Crux. An early issue covered the Hugh Herr accident and follow up to his teen years of recovery. But mostly just about us, the goofs who were featured in our own dreams and climbs of little consequence back then in early 80's.
Now I'm promoting a guide service for adventure sports; www.verticaladventure.org, up here in the Midwest. Day toprope climb experience, kayak and campout trips, zip lines available, a private cave to visit, log cabin lodging if you choose, and even a private plane flight to get you there and back.

By Abram Herman
From Golden, CO
Jul 24, 2013
Viking helmet cover, yep.

Jake Jones wrote:
Don't be "that guy". Let them be that guy.

By Larry S
Jul 24, 2013
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.

Jake Jones wrote:

See this whole page, but specifically the part 2/3 of the way down under the heading "Comments"

theoatmeal.com/comics/making_things

By Gaylord.Primrose
From boulder, CO
Jul 24, 2013

.. that link is just another climbing nerd putting into there two cents of worthless info that will get swallowed up in the black whole of the intranet. why dont you stop yapping about some stupid sendwich and how much you like pbr and go climbing.. we get it you rock climb, youre a dirtbag, youre an alpinist. hooray. its unfortunate that deuschy people like you, picknig fights on teh intranet, are also the same ones out climbing. go back to TN..better yet Big Wille i'll be at wall of the 90's saturday if u wanna chat

By Erik W
From Bay Area, CA
Jul 24, 2013
North face of Ama Dablam - taken on approach to Kongma La.

willeslinger wrote:

Are you kidding me? You plug your blog on an internet forum, a guy finds the content lame, and for that you lay down a veiled threat about meeting face to face?

Grow the F up. You create, some people don't like it, that's life.

By rging
From Salt Lake City, Ut
CoR

Does it cover the Rock n Resole phone number issue?

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

willeslinger wrote:

I felt it came across as fairly low standard stuff myself. I'm in Pagosa Springs. I'm easy to find. Own the only distillery in town. Come on down and I'll be glad to tell you the same in person.

Really, keep writing and you will improve. If you want to be a writer you had better get used to criticism and outright rejection.

Any creative pursuit is gonna bump into criticism. I've had people tell me my shine is the best they've ever had. Others don't like it at all. Comes with the territory. Can't please em all.

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado

s.price wrote:

No thanks, been there before, your booze tastes like unleaded gas.

By frankstoneline

willeslinger wrote:
No thanks, been there before, your booze tastes like unleaded gas.

Better'n leaded gas.
Please send samples of said unleaded gas booze for impartial third party analysis.

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

willeslinger wrote:
No thanks, been there before, your booze tastes like unleaded gas.

Never been here bro. I know that for sure as we are just now going to shelves. Callin your bullshit. You may have been to a brewery here in Pagosa but we are the first legal distillery in town history.
Get your shit straight. Little sensitive are we?

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
OTL

willeslinger wrote:

Wow, Buzz Feed, eh? More like Buzz Kill, ha ha.

By Doug Lintz
From Kearney, NE
Destroyer of popcorn

willeslinger wrote:

If the work ain't good enough, it ain't good enough. You can get all butthurt about it and do nothing, or you can learn from this and make it better.

By s.price
From PS,CO
Jul 25, 2013
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

What gets me about his punch at my product is I tried to offer some encouragement and solid advice. And he makes up bullshit about my business.
I would go on but would end up deleted.

By Dan Austin
From San Francisco, CA
Jul 25, 2013

I probably wouldn't even reply to this thread if the OP hadn't handled the criticisms so poorly, which goes to show that being ungracious about criticism only breeds more!

My comment is: one of the posts contains the line "an endless supply of East Facing slab routes to solo until your heartís content" (emphasis mine). I'm sorry, but that's just sloppy use of an established idiom. It's minor, yes, but it's the accumulation of those minor errors that drag a piece down from "pretty good" to "OK, for a blog".

Also, I don't see how the site is like a BuzzFeed for climbing. Not that it would be better if it were, but when I think of BuzzFeed I think of a series of image macros with mildly amusing one-line text headers. If you try to draw people into the site with a BuzzFeed bait-and-switch (whether it's intentional or not), people are going to be disappointed and probably less receptive to site and writing as a result.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>