Seneca rocks in the snow

By Kirby
From DC
Feb 9, 2012
Hey folks,

Has anyone climbed at Seneca in mild snow/ a day or so after an inch of snow? I'm looking at going on Saturday, and there's an inch projected tomorrow and another half inch possible on Saturday. Is it worth the three hour drive? I love Seneca times a million so if y'all think we wouldn't be thwarted I'd be willing to risk it.

Thanks

By Seth Derr
From harrisburg, pa
Feb 9, 2012
Hey there!
There's a thread on here somewhere (if you don't feel like searching for it i don't either) where there's a picture of a dude climbing Seneca in the snow. If you're psyched on it, try it.

By Kilroywashere!
From Harrisonburg, Virginia
Feb 10, 2012
Kilroy
its doable. dont expect to do anything crazy. old ladies and old mans, maybe the second pitch of conns west. just be careful with cams and wet cracks, you know, all the usual stuff.

By Burt Lindquist
From Madison, WI
Feb 10, 2012
Trying to stay warm up on Brownstone Wall Red Rock...
A friend and I did an ascent back in the early 80', over an annual spring break trip, of Gendarme and then Gunsight to summit in full on winter blow although the temps were only in the upper twenties and not real cold. Alot of wind and spindrift though. We went up to retrieve gear left by friends the day before when the snow storm first moved in suddenly and freaked them out. I remember wearing lug sole'd boots and constantly taking my wool Dachstein mitts off and on to make the moves and place gear. The traverse along the top to get to the rappels was treacherous... we couldn't see more then a few feet and it was slippery as all get up...

You will most likely be the only climbers up there and will have the place to yourself... worth an attempt just for the reason.

By Don Benson
From Lake Lure, NC
Feb 11, 2012
Forecast I saw earlier said 8 to 12 inches at Elkins right up the hill from "Mouth of Seneca".
Will be lousy drive if that comes true but we all know the weather guessers don't get it right too often.

GOOD LUCK and stay safe !

By Wannabe
Feb 11, 2012
These guys have climbed bigger and badder places but check these photos out they posted about a trip out to Seneca right after some of that heavy snow last year I think.

F-in good photos

By wargowsky
Feb 11, 2012
Seneca in the winter in great! Just pick climbs that are well within your limit. Old mans, old ladies, gun site, skyline, Conn's West, etc are all very doable in boots. Conn's west is kind of a pain if you've got a pack though. Might want to carry a nut tool with you to clip ice out of cracks...if there's any ice. If you're into hiking or just want to do a long day, hike the north fork trail (12-14miles) in to base of Seneca, do your climb(s), then go grab a beer in town. It makes for a great day! Have fun and be safe!