Seneca Rocks in May

By EugeneK
From Cambridge, MA
Mar 28, 2012

I'm thinking about heading to Seneca Rocks at beginning of May for 5 days. What are the conditions like at that time of year? Rain, crowds, camping, etc? Would I be better off at the Gunks or maybe head to Red Rocks instead? I've been to Gunks and RR before. Seneca would be a new place to try. Thinking RR might be too warm.

Thanks

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Mar 28, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

Do you mean RRG in Ky? Seneca, The Gunks and RRG are all in the east.

By EugeneK
From Cambridge, MA
Mar 28, 2012

muttonface wrote:
Do you mean RRG in Ky? Seneca, The Gunks and RRG are all in the east.

Seneca in WV, Gunks in NY and Red Rocks in NV.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Mar 28, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

Ah, ok. My mistake. I love Seneca. Camping at Yokum's is reasonable. It's not crowded. Weather there this time of year is hit or miss. Probably better in May, but you never know the real forecast until a couple days out. Never been to the Gunks or RR. Have fun!

By Mike Dannhardt
From Vienna, VA
Mar 28, 2012

Our club did a day at Seneca in memorial of Herb Conn a couple of weekends ago. The weather was perfect. Hardly anyone else was out.

We picked up the very little trash we found. Did some trail maintenance, placed a dozen new first aid boxes and restocked the litters.

PATC-MS on Seneca Rocks South Summit - Herb Conn memorial climb

By MaraC
Mar 28, 2012
taking a break from climbing shoes before rapping off Arrow

The weather in Seneca is pretty much the same as it would be here in the Gunks - there's a high possibility of it being beautiful, but there's always the chance of spring rain. You could probably chase the shade at Red Rock, since there's less of a chance of rain out there this time of year, but if you've never been to Seneca, I think it'd be a good time to go!

Last year we went for Memorial Day and 4th of July weekend, camped at Seneca Shadows, and didn't have too much of a problem with crowds either weekend; however, my home crag is the Gunks, so you can take my opinion of the crowds with a pinch of salt. :p

By Carl W Orr
Mar 28, 2012

Perfect timing for the Cinco de Mayo fest.

By EugeneK
From Cambridge, MA
Apr 18, 2012

I've decided on Seneca Rocks. Planning on flying into Baltimore and driving the rest of the way. Will be arriving late at night, can anyone recommend a place to stay for the night nearby other then camping?

By Taylor Jenkins
Apr 18, 2012

Yokum's has motel rooms upstairs from their general store right next door to The Gendarme climbing shop. I haven't stayed in them but the photos on their website look nice.

By TDF-Tommy
From Falls Church
Apr 18, 2012
Breithorn

I am staying at Seneca Shadows mid may- where can I get some beer at, or is this a BYOB event?