Seeking NC offwidths and squeeze chimneys.

By wpfister
Aug 16, 2014
Linville
I am currently en route flying back to the southeast after a summer of climbing in The Valley, and I am going to be missing the plethora of wide cracks that were at my disposal. So I am looking for all of the wide cracks in the area, anything like Ahab, Generator, Moby Dick, etc... Thanks in advance.

By Brian Payst
Aug 16, 2014
grayson highlands
Not really our specialty here in NC, but there is a pretty good list in this thread: mountainproject.com/v/training...

By TJ Souther
From Brevard, NC
Aug 17, 2014
Hey man, hit me up sometime this fall if you want to get on some rock together!

By Chris Jones
Aug 17, 2014
Liposuctor in Clear Creek Canyon, Obed Wild and Scenic River, TN. Also new offwidth roof put up by Arno. The Womb at Looking Glass.

By ABG
From Winston-Salem, NC
Aug 17, 2014
If you get desperate there are actually quite a few unnamed/unclimbed offwidths/chimneys at Moore's. Can't speak to the quality of them but they are littered all over the crag. Most likely nothing like Yosemite though...

By wpfister
Aug 19, 2014
Linville
Hey TJ! I am moving overseas late September, but am looking to get out a good bit until that point. I will shoot you a text.
And thanks everyone for the recommendations.

By Stuart Parker
From Missoula, MT
Aug 23, 2014
Wolf's Head, Cirque of the Towers
Give the sperm and fat dog a go! over on Looking glass. There is a sick V2 offwidth boulder at the bald too! near pit BBQ? I think.

By ViperScale
Aug 27, 2014
Top pitch of cracker jack at table rock is kinda a short offwidth into a full chimney climb. White lightning might not be exactly what you are looking for but is also at table rock and might be worth the while.

By Chris Jones
Aug 29, 2014
facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10...

By Chris Massey
Aug 30, 2014
Tried to hit up as many chimney/wide cracks we could before climbing Epi at RR back in the spring:

Fruit Loops 2nd Pitch - Rumbling Bald
Cracker Jack 2nd Pitch - Table Rock
Fat Dog - Looking Glass
Caterpillar - Crowders

Never made it to LG north side to bag those wide ones. In the end it was good enough for us to make it through the Epi chimneys.

By jeep gaskin
Sep 4, 2014
hypocrites corner. double dihedral. want some first ascents? granite city. it needs to be dry and you'll need to do some cleaning, but there are desperate thrashes to be done there.

By Jim Corbett
Sep 5, 2014
and then there is always Hard Up for Cracks...

By gregrockz
Sep 8, 2014
If you are feeling burly, P6 of Glass Menagerie is the "dreaded off-width" pitch.

By Derek DeBruin
Sep 8, 2014
As fall/winter rolls in, Captain Crunch, Petrified Frog, and Kennedy Space Port at Rumbling Bald area all good options. Also, Pepper Pot Tube on the Looking Glass Hidden Wall.

By Steve Ritchie
Sep 8, 2014
2nd pitch of Odyssey. It was quite nice, but bring a few large cams, or leap-frog one cam like I did. That adds lots of spice to the lead!

By shannon stegg
5 days ago
The off width on Fire Fly on Raven Rock is probably the longest and hardest. As far as I know it has not seen a second ascent.40 to 50 feet of pure granite off width climbing with bomb bay exposure! Free the roof pitch and turn the three pitch climb into one wild and exposed masterpiece.