Scrambles near Fisher Towers?

By J. Fox
From Black Hawk, CO
Jan 26, 2012
Me too!
Friends & family are heading to Moab area to camp in mid April. We'd like to visit the Fisher Towers area. No way we're going to climb them, but are there any fun/scenic/interesting easy to moderate scrambles/hikes in that area with good views of the towers?

I'm unfamiliar with anything in the area other than local geology during a class several years ago.

Thanks in advance!

By Dan L
From ZION
Jan 26, 2012
Keeler Needle and Whitney
There is one main trail system that winds through the towers. Never been to the end, but I think it goes for at least 3 miles one way. Easy trail with awesome views.

By Alexander Nees
From Grand Junction, CO
Jan 26, 2012
Alex midway up TCT.  Photo by Kim Caovan
You can also hike in Onion Creek. Same Cutler formations as the Fisher Towers, but more canyon-like and without the huge towers. The hike offers some shallow creek splashing, amazing canyon walls that occasionally narrow into slots, and good opportunities to explore. Great for kids. To get there, just drive down the Onion Creek Road (it's the next turn-off south of the Fisher Towers road on HWY 128, and is signed for Onion Creek), and follow the good dirt road, crossing the creek a bunch of times. This is usually fine even in a low clearance 2WD. Park when the canyon starts deepening and getting interesting, and just hike up the creekbed and explore. Bring sandals or water shoes. You'll want warm weather for this hike, since it's mostly shady and your feet will get wet.

There is also a loop trail just north of the Fisher Towers. I forget what it's called, but it starts from the Fisher Tower boat launch parking lot on Hwy 128. Nice trail, some nice scenery, pretty flat. Not near as spectacular as the other two options but mellower.

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jan 27, 2012
Andrew Gram
The approach hike to the mystery towers is really worth doing - its an interesting scramble in the area Alexander was recommending. Doric Column has some details.

The Fisher Tower trail is great - winds around the base of Ancient art, Cottontail Tower, and the Titan.

Another good option is to drive as far as your vehicle is capable of on the Top of the World trail and then hike to the overlook above the Fisher Towers. That view is a stunner but it can be a long walk or bike ride if you have a low clearance car.

Impish on Dock Rock is a fun low angle wandering 5.4. I get nervous soloing in the flatirons and had no trouble soloing this. Bring a single 60 to rap.

By Jeremy Aslaksen
From Albuquerque, NM
Jan 29, 2012
Death will come to you.

But really...the Fishers hike is awesome as well as the Mystery Towers aproach. Stay to the right...on the Mystery Towers hike that is.

Also, if you hike up to the trail that goes up to Ancient Art...you can groove below the Kingfisher in the sun.

Have fun!

Jeremy

By J. Fox
From Black Hawk, CO
Apr 9, 2012
Me too!

Thanks much!

By S Denny
From Aspen, CO
Apr 9, 2012
J. Fox wrote:
Quick question, since our trip is this coming weekend, but what is C1? I know it means clean-aid or something like that, but does that mean there are pre-placed-pitons (say that three-times fast!) and I would clip them with QD's like bolts on a sport route? I know jack-squat about aid and don't have any aid gear. I was just looking for 5.7 and lesser climbs in the area (I suck) and found a 5.7/C1 that looked fun...but I don't wanna die! Thanks much!

No. Do not do anything that is C1 and expect to just pull on draws

You can do ancient art at 5.8 C0 (pulling on draws), but it would bea big deal for a 5.8 leader

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Apr 9, 2012
At the BRC
The hike in Onion Creek does give some cool and unusual views of the towers, but I thought it was kind of mediocre as a slot canyon.
You might want to check out these two sites if you haven't already.
climb-utah.com/
ajroadtrips.com/go/
If your party is up for climbing and you are willing to look further afield, you might enjoy Elephant Butte in Arches (a super adventure) or Looking Glass Rock down near La Sal Junction.
The Fiery Furnace in Arches is good fun too, albeit non-technical.
Mark

By Kevin Landolt
From Fort Collins, Wyoming
Apr 9, 2012
I think Ancient Art would be fine for a five eight leader. Freeing that first bolt ladder is a blast though! Cobbles!

Just out of curiosity, has ANYONE here climbed the Hippy Chimney route to the summit of the N. Tower?

By Jim Sweeney
Apr 9, 2012
A little info on the Fiery Furnace
If you do Ancient Art don't forget your Citi Card

(Sorry, hadda do that)

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Apr 9, 2012
Andrew Gram
Ancient Art would not be fine for a 5.8 climber - the corkscrew kinda sorta goes at 5.8 C0, but it isn't a very good pitch to be at your limit on. The rest of it, sure.

C1 you need to expect to place gear, and in a place like the Fishers be pretty comfortable aid climbing. C0 should be all in place already, but it is the Fisher Towers - sometimes the bolts can be pulled out by your fingers. Don't think of anything around the Fisher Towers as being remotely comparable to sport climbing.

By J. Fox
From Black Hawk, CO
Apr 10, 2012
Me too!
Thanks guys, duly noted.

By Bryan K.
From Palisade, CO
Apr 10, 2012
Haven't done this route before but heard it's a fun scramble and also fairly close to the fishers.
thealoof.com/hiking-climbing-p...