Schoeller and gore tex issues

By Joe Keyser
From Scottsdale, AZ
Jan 28, 2013
Joe Keyser

I have been trying to find new goretex pants which always come in a standard configuration (L, XL, etc) where a 35-36 inch waist means you are 6' 6" tall. Anybody have suggestions on good alpine pants deals, especially gore tex for "athletic builds"? My old gear is not cutting it in this area and I can't find anything online...I live in Phoenix and the two pairs of gore tex pants that were available for sale in the valley were sold out last month. :-)

By Mike Belu
From Indianapolis, IN
Jan 28, 2013
Summit of Rainier.

I have the same problem, 6'2" and to get the legs right, the waist ends up being too big. Recently, I got the outdoor research salvo pants on sale at campsaver.com. My waist is around 32". I got the mediums. The waist fits, but they are snug through the legs. Maybe too snug to be "cool" in some people's opinion, but I really like them. Windproof and breathe good. They have a slimmer cut than some of the other softshells, in my humble opinion. Also, campsaver has been good on retuns for me in the past. Hope that helps.

By Martin le Roux
From Superior, CO
Jan 28, 2013
Stairway to Heaven

There was a similar question not too long ago: www.mountainproject.com/v/pants-for-tall-guys-climbingski/10>>>

By Gunkiemike
Jan 28, 2013

You need a tailor, pref. one who understands performance outerwear.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Jan 28, 2013

Joe Keyser wrote:
Yah, that is what I am trying to avoid. Especially when there are expensive crampon scuff guards and stuff that could get chopped up...Thanks for the thoughts. My old standby stuff may just have to keep up for a while...

i will say you can source a good portion of the fabrics and purchase them. Then have a tailor do the sewing and fitting work.

By PatCleary
From Rohnert Park, CA
Jan 28, 2013

Not sure about their Gore-Tex stuff, but I have a (roughly) 32"x34" Arc'teryx Gamma LT's. I'd image that they make similar sizes in other materials as well. Yeah, their stuff is expensive, but it was cut nicely for tall and thin.

Pat

By ColinM
From Escondido, CA
Feb 1, 2013
Capitol Peak

I've noticed all my size medium pants (OR, ExOfficio, Columbia) have about a 32" inseam and a 32-34" waist. Barely long enough for me since I'm 6'0" and a 32" waist.

By Jon Miller on the WS
Feb 1, 2013

Mammut has several soft shell pants that come in waist and inseam sizes.

By Chris Charron
Feb 1, 2013

What about something from Beyond Clothing ? They will do custom waist and leg length in both schoeller and gore tex. The prices are not outrageous for a comparable pair and especially considering that they are custom.

By Gunkiemike
Feb 2, 2013

Joe Keyser wrote:

The features at the bottom of the legs don't get affected if the alteration is done properly. i.e. lopping 6" off the bottoms is NOT the thing to do. You'd lose the scuff guard, built-in gaiter, elastic or snaps etc. And the knee bend would lie at mid shin level. The key is to remove the material higher up the leg, likely at a couple different levels. And yes, I HAVE done this sort of thing.

By Goldsmith
From Ithaca, New York
Feb 2, 2013

This is the most frustrating thing. I have no idea why pants are cut so strangely - maybe the whole outdoor industry caters to fat people. I have had the best luck with Arc Teryx Long versions of their pants styles. The Gamma AR is especially well cut imho.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Feb 3, 2013

Joe Keyser wrote:
Thanks. I can go buy a $15-20 pair of jeans to an exact dimension. But, $300 schoeller / gore tex pants are all "2 sizes fits all". I find it much easier to buy just about every other piece of gear...

Do you have any idea of how expensive it would be for manufactures and mostly stores to go about the waist/inseam method with high end WPB pants?

Another +1 for beyond clothing.

The reality of the situation is the huge majority of the customer base for higher end outdoor soft goods is no where near your more "squat" measurements. Think average to lanky :P

By Danomcq