Scenic Cruise in early June... Too hot?

By wilcox510
Jan 21, 2014
Planning way ahead here... Any thoughts on heat factor for Scenic Cruise around the second week of June? My guess is most likely too hot...

By Michael Schneiter
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Jan 21, 2014
Goofin' on the Grand after soloing the Upper Exum ...
Yes, most likely too hot at that time. Not enough shade on Scenic Cruise although better shade on other routes at that time.

By adam brink
From Boulder, CO
Jan 21, 2014
Arlo in all his magnificence.
I've done it twice in early June and had not problem with heat. We did bring three liters of water each and were out at the end of the day.

By Ralph Swansen
From Denver CO
Jan 21, 2014
Escalante Canyon
Go for it. and or Journey Home

By Matt Stamplis
From Boston, MA
Jan 21, 2014
Probably too hot but you never know. In 2008 I was able to climb during the 4th of July in the Black, 4 days in a row, with temps in the 70s. That being said, consider having a backup plan if it looks hot.

By Bryan Gilmore
From Your Mama
Jan 21, 2014
Beagle
June can be very hot, but the great thing about the Cruise is that it goes into the shade by early afternoon. So, you can start descending the gully around Noon or 1pm and get on the wall just as the sun goes away.

By RyanO
From sunshine
Jan 21, 2014
Bryan Gilmore wrote:

Excellent advice. And to speed up your 6 hour ascent be sure to cut weight by taping your feet for the walk down (and then burning said tape at the bottom, one lighter weighs a lot less than two approach shoes) and probably leave the beer at camp as well. rope, rack, and shirt on your back. sEnDiTbRaH!!

By Devan Johnson
Feb 9, 2014
crag dog
Yep..June for the cruise worked for me. And if you're coming from Utah, hit me up!

By Monty
From Golden, CO
Feb 9, 2014
Just a teaser
If it is too warm, sleep in and climb midsummer nights dream. It's only slightly harder, shorter, and goes in to the shade in the afternoon.

By Dick Stone
From Boulder
Feb 9, 2014
Epinephrine

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Feb 10, 2014
rockerwaves
"Start late in the day and bivy on a fantastic ledge half way up...it's a awesome place to spend a night on the wall and you can get a early start in the cool morning air."

Dick has a point.I have always thought that that would be really fun! I believe Kor slept on that luxurious ledge on the first ascent of what was to become "The Cruise".

By Jay Brown