SAR Missions Cost NPS Nearly $4 Million In 2013

By Jason Himick
From Boulder, CO
Jul 3, 2014
Future Goal
Since folks here seem to love to debate SAR costs and reasons for rescue I think this short article might be an interesting read.

nationalparkstraveler.com/2014...

By Benjamin Chapman
From Small Town, USA
Jul 3, 2014
old 1/4" bolt.
And how much did the government spend on the Iraq War and bringing a "stable" government to that little piece of heaven? $78.5 billion.

By M Sprague
From New England
Jul 3, 2014
$4 million is chicken feed for such a large organization and number of users.

By ChefMattThaner
From Lakewood, co
Jul 3, 2014
ducking ropes at Copper
Wow that figure is actually much lower than I thought it would be.

By DesertRat
Jul 3, 2014
Seems like a drop in the bucket considering the service they provide. Is this an actual efficient use of tax money, or are these numbers wrong?

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Jul 3, 2014
That number ($4 million) is suprisingly low, given the number of visitors that the park service sees (they report 273,630,895 visitors in 2013). That comes to less than 1.5 cents per visitor; this is very very small. One way to think of it: If you had to pay an extra 1.5 cents every time you entered a park to fund "rescue insurance", would you mind? Probably not.

By marty funkhouser
Jul 3, 2014
$4 million won't even buy you a halfway decent politician these days

By GhaMby
From Heaven
Jul 3, 2014
My tiny counties solid waste budget is 3 million. . .4 million seems really for all of the NPS.

By Ian Stewart
Jul 3, 2014
$3.8 million for 2348 SARs averages to $1618 per SAR. That's much less than I would have guessed. Seems like money well spent.

By Tom Sherman
From Bristol, RI
Jul 3, 2014
John Sherman
80% Hiking and backpacking incidents in 2013. Also a good read: Article Photo, Climber Rescued Where a SAR on El Cap resulted in the successful reattachment of a climbers thumb, which would have otherwise left him permanently disfigured. I'd say technical climbers are doing a good job not being a statistic.

By Jason Himick
From Boulder, CO
Jul 6, 2014
Future Goal
Lots of interesting comments at the bottom of the article. This one in particular made me wonder how various park fees are allocated:

"...here in the Smokies and elsewhere, the NPS has used search and rescue as a justification for backcountry fees. Yet the majority of rescues don't involve backcountry campers. They are dayhikers who are exempt from backcountry usage fees."

Thoughts?

By Thomas Beck
From Las Vegas, Nevada
Jul 6, 2014
beck on limestone
$4 million for SAR in the National Park Service is much lower than I thought. I'd agree anecdotally, it seems locally, more hikers get rescued than climbers.

The Spring Mountain/ Toyiabe NPS is building a visitors center right now with massive road re-alignment that's costing much more than $4 million.