Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Santa Fe National Forrest Climbing

By Scott Chapman
Apr 1, 2013

Anyone ever do any backcountry climbing in the Santa Fe National Forrest. I was looking specifically East and SE of Lake Peak. There seem to be some large rocks on google earth; here's one... Lat 3546'16.88"N Long 10544'12.42"W just trying to see what's up in the area. thanks for the help. cheers,
scott

By Scott Chapman
Apr 5, 2013

man, I'm really surprised no one has any knowledge of these cliffs. Is the rock just choss or something? attached is a photo of one along with the lat/long

Lat  3542'3.80"N <br />Long 10545'54.55"W
Lat 3542'3.80"N
Long 10545'54.55"W

By codrew
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Apr 5, 2013
Dappled Mare - JTree

Hey Scott

No knowledge of them, buy if you want to go check it out I'm down! PM me

Drew

By Scott Chapman
Apr 5, 2013

what's the snow situation like out there right now?

By Chris Wenker
From Santa Fe
Apr 5, 2013
Bandera

Your picture is of "Dos Gigantes."
But I haven't visited, have no beta.

/Much of our stuff is under the radar. capiche?

By Senior Hernandez
Apr 5, 2013
on the trip

Under the Radar as in:

By Chris Wenker
From Santa Fe
Apr 5, 2013
Bandera

Tonto wrote:
Under the Radar as in: I moved here from the East Coast and now this is MY local climbing area, you can't use it, your not cool enough. LOL.

Who are you to put words in my mouth? Who are you, period?

I shared all the beta I have about the place. I have other, bigger rocks to deal with instead.
By under the radar, I mean: our stuff is generally obscure, rarely visited, poorly reported, mainly shared among friends through word of mouth, and is reserved that way so the next set of shmucks can have the same exploratory adventure. So don't expect too much information to be forthcoming to a random internet inquiry, even if people do have knowledge of the area. That's what I mean.

To the OP: Go take the ropes for a walk and see what you find. Maybe it's awesome. What I do know is that Shaggy Peak, farther west of your area of interest, has some decent quality granite, but it's not really big enough to bother with. But the stone quality isn't horrible there, at least.

By Scott Chapman
Apr 5, 2013

thanks y'all, I appreciate under the radar. I like the unknown. I'm not really looking for route beta, just whether it's something people like to climb on or a pile of junk. anyways, I'll check it out myself. I live down in west texas where it's been 90degrees already... is it too snowy to drive in to a place like this yet? cheers,
scott

By docsavage
From Albuquerque, NM
Apr 6, 2013
Looking down the first crux pitch, Ellingwood Ledges, 2002 - Jay Evans photo.

What is your projected approach, Scott Chapman - down from Penitente or up from Holy Ghost CG? The high country is still snowbound on the northern aspects above about 11K & Holy Ghost road is closed until May regardless of snow. Nice to think this wasn't choss but it does face the exact reverse (i.e., SE) of the Pecos crags downriver whose quality might best be rated as 'good'. Good luck & be sure to post what you find ...