Sandia Ranger District to Enact Closure Order Effective June 30, 2014

By Jason Halladay
From Los Alamos, NM
Jun 26, 2014
FA of The Great Potato (Mt. Ore Ida), Withington W...
The Sandia Mountains are closing Monday, June 30th, 2014. Better get after it out there this weekend if you have any routes on your to-do list for the summer. However, completely unsubstantiated rumors suggest the closure order will be lifted right after the Fourth of July holiday weekend.

By Mike Flanagan
From Redlands, CA
Jun 26, 2014
Figures I only get 10 weeks in ABQ and they're closed for half! Game on this weekend.

By Taylor J
From new mexico, new england
Jun 27, 2014
"Scott" at the tunnel
Very unlikely they will lift the ban after the fourth unless we get some precip..

By Bill Lawry
From New Mexico
Jun 28, 2014
Bring on the monsoons!

By Jason Halladay
From Los Alamos, NM
Jul 7, 2014
FA of The Great Potato (Mt. Ore Ida), Withington W...
Turns out the unsubstantiated rumor of the closure order being lifted right after the Fourth of July holiday weekend was correct. The Sandias opened again this afternoon, July 7, 2014.

By Dominator675
From Albuquerque, New Mexico
Jul 7, 2014
Another of me climbing mother goose wall.
Thanks for the update Jason. I was just wondering if they would be opening back up after the rain we have been getting. Definitely good news and time to get out and take advantage of it while we can.

By Pawel
From NJ
Jul 8, 2014
P3 CCK
If anyone's short a partner for Sandias this weekend, Sat or Sun, give me a call: 9739195434.

By Craig Childre
From Lubbock, Texas
Jul 8, 2014
Potrero Mexico, Sport Climbing Mecca.
Probably keeping the townies who will want to drive up the hill to pop off their fireworks. I'd observe, a pretty solid policy... Consider if one rocket sets off a fire... they would nail the coffin shut on this season, and the next judging from how they handled the fire in Last Chance a few years back.

Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
and Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!