Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Sailing and Climbing
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Jun 14, 2012
Has anybody done or herd of any spots where living from a sailboat and climbing is possible (preferably in the general area of North America). Squamish seems like it has potential (has anyone done this?). Planning on having a boat about 24 feet so big water may not be a great option. Would be stoked to get some sailing/climbing location advice.

Check this video out,

video.patagonia.com/pages/vert...


Cheers,

Kyle
Kyle M
Joined Nov 30, 2011
15 points
Jun 14, 2012
Looking at a 5.7 crack with Nick
If you are looking for year round, I have no idea. If its a seasonal thing, Lake Superior could be your ticket. Tettegouche State Park in Minnesota (Shovel Point) is right on the Lake, and there are several other areas worth checking out nearby. Josh Olson
From Durango, CO
Joined Mar 7, 2010
362 points
Administrator
Jun 14, 2012
A Very Not Snowy Christmas...
Maine sir, that is the land of which you speak. . . Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,420 points
Jun 14, 2012
Chillin' at City of Rocks
Why go cold and rainy when the Caribbean is so close. I lived in the Virgin Islands for a while, sailed every day.
Check out the climbing at Virgin Gorda!!!!
Princess Mia
From Vail
Joined May 22, 2006
422 points
Administrator
Jun 14, 2012
A Very Not Snowy Christmas...
Mia is totally RIGHT... Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,420 points
Jun 14, 2012
 Morning Dew ,self portrait
Gotta go with Mia on this one. Don't forget Cuba. s.price
From PS,CO
Joined Dec 1, 2010
1,366 points
Administrator
Nov 13, 2012
Sorry about the late reply, but Cayman Brac should be in your list of considerations.

climbcaymanbrac.com
John Byrnes
From Fort Collins, CO
Joined Dec 11, 2007
319 points
Nov 13, 2012
The Shield
Thailand. I've done a lot of this there. Sam Lightner, Jr.
From Lander, WY
Joined Apr 9, 2006
2,248 points
Nov 13, 2012
We have our sailboat in Mexico. Lots of climbing near or around that you can get to by bus. We are currently at the EPC. We will climb here for a few months then sail and surf around the coast. Bouldering in Puerto Escondido surfing as well. It is possible in Squamish as I lived there on my sailboat for awhile but the winters are terrible hence why we are in Mexico. We have friends on the coast in France, lots of climbing there as well that you can access from your sailboat albeit more expensive. But back to the coast in BC there are many areas north of Howe Sound that offer endless opportunity. Check out Powell River you can climbing right on the coast. If your looking for cheap boats check Mexico out it's cheap to keep your boat in the north at San Carlos. freeope
From Vancouver Island
Joined Oct 5, 2012
0 points
Administrator
Nov 13, 2012
A Very Not Snowy Christmas...
freeope wrote:
We have our sailboat in Mexico. Lots of climbing near or around that you can get to by bus. We are currently at the EPC. We will climb here for a few months then sail and surf around the coast. Bouldering in Puerto Escondido surfing as well. It is possible in Squamish as I lived there on my sailboat for awhile but the winters are terrible hence why we are in Mexico. We have friends on the coast in France, lots of climbing there as well that you can access from your sailboat albeit more expensive. But back to the coast in BC there are many areas north of Howe Sound that offer endless opportunity. Check out Powell River you can climbing right on the coast. If your looking for cheap boats check Mexico out it's cheap to keep your boat in the north at San Carlos.


what do u do for money on your boat living year round? no family I would assume...
Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,420 points
Nov 13, 2012
We work in Canada for six months climb and sail for six month. We are DINKs! (Double income no kids!) We leave the boat wherever we make it to fly home and repeat. We are sailing this year to El Salvador. freeope
From Vancouver Island
Joined Oct 5, 2012
0 points
Administrator
Nov 13, 2012
A Very Not Snowy Christmas...
hahah DINKs! that's great.... lol. Sounds awesome... my parents always wanted to live on their boat.

Then they sold it...
Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,420 points
Nov 13, 2012
the man was smart
What I wonder is how safe the boat is when you take off for the day or even a few days, especially in a third world type area?

Like Sam said, I definitely saw people paddling in from their sailboats in Thailand to go climb/drink/eat.

Talk about being able to live on the cheap, this is the way to go.
T Roper
From VA,NM,UT,CT,MA
Joined Mar 31, 2006
1,055 points
Nov 13, 2012
fair weather climber wrote:
What I wonder is how safe the boat is when you take off for the day or even a few days, especially in a third world type area? Like Sam said, I definitely saw people paddling in from their sailboats in Thailand to go climb/drink/eat. Talk about being able to live on the cheap, this is the way to go.

No matter where you are you are always concerned for the safety of your boat. You do your best to anchor in a safe bay/harbour, lock away anything that can easily be stolen from on deck etc. Not only are you concerned about theft you are always wondering what the weather is doing, if the wind has shifted/increasing, are you dragging anchor the list goes on. With that said you can't be tied to your boat or you will never get to see or do anything. I always do my best to hide things away put out extra anchor chain to avoid dragging anchor, if things get stolen are you get back and the boat has dragged anchor or has been stolen well I guess you cross that bridge when you get there! It's cheap but not that cheap! A "boat" stands for: Bring Out Another Thousand!
freeope
From Vancouver Island
Joined Oct 5, 2012
0 points
Nov 13, 2012
the man was smart
freeope wrote:
No matter where you are you are always concerned for the safety of your boat. You do your best to anchor in a safe bay/harbour, lock away anything that can easily be stolen from on deck etc. Not only are you concerned about theft you are always wondering what the weather is doing, if the wind has shifted/increasing, are you dragging anchor the list goes on. With that said you can't be tied to your boat or you will never get to see or do anything. I always do my best to hide things away put out extra anchor chain to avoid dragging anchor, if things get stolen are you get back and the boat has dragged anchor or has been stolen well I guess you cross that bridge when you get there! It's cheap but not that cheap! A "boat" stands for: Bring Out Another Thousand!


I sail a ton these days during the warm season so I get what you are saying. Have you had anything go missing/walk from your boat when its not in sight? I'm curious.

Got any carpet tacks?
T Roper
From VA,NM,UT,CT,MA
Joined Mar 31, 2006
1,055 points
Nov 13, 2012
No carpet tacks as JS used!!(what a great adventure for a guy that didn't even know how to swim) And nothing stolen, no pirates!(knock-on-wood) There are far more people in the anchorages that have way nicer boats/stuff then us! We are very low key. It's like when we go climbing we leave nothing in the van that people can see when walking by, no climbing stickers on our van, we have no fancy gear/outboard/dingy so we never seem to attract much attention. freeope
From Vancouver Island
Joined Oct 5, 2012
0 points
Nov 14, 2012
For a little adventure try Newfoundland. Most of the cliffs there are virtually untouched and the best access-- short of helicopter-- is probably by sailboat. A summer spent sailing and climbing there would be amazing. Devil's bay is the most well-known destination but they are apparently many other potential big walls out there and many many smaller quality walls.


If you are interested in Maine, check this article out:

climbing.com/route/maine-liner...


Jim
jim.dangle
Joined Jul 13, 2011
2,732 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.  
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!