Safe Harbor, Pennsylvania: North's Cracks

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Jul 6, 2014
Day Lily.

Awesome that SH North opened to the public on 4/1! My buddy and I are going to check it out this upcoming weekend. We're interested in the cracks. Two routes (of many) for examples that the descriptions have us stoked for, are the routes called "Five 5s" and "Hand Crack" in the "Tall Wall" area.

Three questions: Is the rock (in general, if not specifically the majority of the cracks) good enough to be safe to lead with gear? How would you rate the quality?

Also any reccomendations for "must do" trad routes in the North, especially pure crack routes? Any difficulty welcome.

I appreciate your time! Thank you.

p.s. Was PA left out regarding the forums? It isnt listed under any of the regional descriptions that I saw.

By Wannabe
Jul 6, 2014

In regards to your p.s. Stoned PA, MD, VA, DE-- all states left out of the forums. I've mentioned the idea of a "midatlantic" region a million years ago but that went exactly nowhere. I certainly understand that we're not exactly a destination for climbing but as you and I both know, if you're willing to dig a little there are some gems out there that are more than capable of getting a climber ready for bigger and better things. Even if some of those routes do happen to be part of a pile of choss that the great choss monster shat out onto WVA.

As for hand cracks at SH-- I'll eagerly await your report.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Jul 6, 2014
Day Lily.

Right on Wannabe! I havent heard from you in some time, I hope all is well. Now that schools out you getting to climb more?

By RunWilburRun
From Silver Spring, MD
Jul 7, 2014

Is there a guide for the North section? Similar to the guide that exists for the South section?

By pjheinz83
From Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 7, 2014
Groove Tube - Tonsai, Thailand

Interesting. Can't wait to see the new stuff!

By Jon Clark
From Philadelphia, PA
Jul 7, 2014
onsight soloing Atman

I have climbed almost every route at SH North with the exception of the routes at the Tall Wall. While I can't comment on the specific routes you're asking about, I have logged many days at the crag. I would say there are zero must do gear protected routes at the crag. SH North is primarily bolt protected face climbing on thin edges. The climbing is often funky because the holds frequently don't face in the right direction. The rock quality isn't the best in many of the areas. Some of the routes are in a permanent state of exfoliation.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Jul 7, 2014
Day Lily.

Thanks for the info Jon! I appreciate the heads up.