RRG: Miguel's or Land of the Arches?

By Antonio Caligiuri
From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
May 8, 2014
Approaching the anchors on Eclipse (5.6) at Breakneck Rocks in Connellsville, PA.

Hey guys, a couple friends and I are making are first trip down to the Red this coming week. This is our first season leading so we will mostly be sticking to moderate routes and as such we will probably spend the majority of our time in Muir Valley, where it seems like the most appropriate crags will be Bruise Brothers, Practice Wall, Tectonic/Johnny's, Animal Cracker, the Great Wall. Plenty to keep us busy for 5 days. My real reason for posting is to ask whether staying at Miguel's is an absolute can't-miss for first timers at the Red, or if we are better off staying at Land of the Arches which is closer to Muir Valley. Thoughts and advice?

PS, any other helpful beta would be awesome! Thanks!

By Eric Fernandez
From Dixon, CA
May 9, 2014

Miguels for a party, people, wi-fi, showers, summer camp, lago lindas if you want a nice camping experience, quite, beautiful setting, you can always stop by miguels for some pizza, wi-fi to check it out if you camp somewhere else. Depends on what you personally are looking for, Miguels is amazing but can be a bit much at times.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
tanuki

The last time I was at the Red in 2011, Miguel's was party central. The campers were almost all college kids, most of whom were there with large college "outdoor clubs," and a few dirtbags. The place rocked until LATE into the morning, and reminded me more of a frat party than a climber party. YMMV. My last few trips to the Red I stayed at Largo Linda. Its chill, and filled with serious climbers. I know nothing about Arches.

The food at Miguel's is AWESOME! I always eat there and always buy something from their gear store. I encourage you to do the same. Miguel and his family are awesome, and deserve the support of the climbing community.

By Andy McClellan
From Cincinnati, OH
The rare T-Wall chimney

Miguel's will get tiring if you're there for 5 days. But you could always stop by to check out the scene for your first couple nights. Once you need a good night's sleep, check out LOTA or Lago Linda. Or better yet, get yourself a three-day backcountry camping permit for $5 at the Shell station and pitch your tent in the woods :)

By Andy McClellan
From Cincinnati, OH
The rare T-Wall chimney

Also, be sure to stop by Red River Rockhouse for dinner at least one night. Great local food, lots of variety, plus they serve beer!

By Abram Herman
From Golden, CO
May 9, 2014
Viking helmet cover, yep.

Miguel's, without a doubt.

By Jon Frisby
From New York, NY
May 9, 2014

Seems like people have about covered it as far as Miguel's vs Linda's. I would add that they're both close enough to the crags that it's not really a big deal worrying about that. Also, there's some moderates up north on 11 that you would be closer to from Miguel's.

By Cody Ison
From Richmond, KY
May 9, 2014

Y'all know little about the gorge. Go home FIFO's.

By Cody Ison
From Richmond, KY

Cody Ison wrote:
Y'all know little about the gorge. Go home FIFO's.

Either will be fine. Enjoy the SSS.

By DoNstamos
From SLC/Detroit/Dragons
legend

Just got done with my first trip to the red. You gotta experience Miguel's at least via drive by pizza style. Good vibes all around. Red river gorgeous could be an option if you have the funds. Either way the owners of gorgeous are just as deserving of support as Miguel's. take Andy Ms advice.

By Alex Mitchell
From Utica, NY
Me Climbing

Miguels is like a Frat party for climbers. It can be a lot of fun but then again if you are more interested in climbing not the best.

Lago Lindas is a good bit farther from all the climbing except the PMRP. But it is nice with individual campsites like you would find at any State Forest Campground.

LOTA is great as there is an inside area for days it rains. It is about half the distance to Muir. You can have your own camping area with a fire pit.
It is kinda like the middle ground of Lagos and Miguels.

By Dylan Pike
From Prescott, AZ
May 9, 2014
Myself pulling out of the hueco on Supafly.

Land of the Arches was nice and quiet last time I was there. Miguel's has great pizza, but will be overrun with loud, obnoxious people on the weekends (It's also the cheapest true campground by a couple bucks/night).

I honestly prefer to backcountry camp on forest service land. This has been mentioned, but I'll repeat that you can grab two three night passes from the shell station for $10 and be set. There are a lot of good areas to camp close to the road in the northern gorge area once you are north of the nada tunnel. These are, however pretty far from Muir.

my $.02

By Short Beta
From Troy, MI
Leading a 10 at Chocolate Factory

Land of Arches has worked better for me than Miguel's. There's even some couches you can crash on and sleeping pads inside. Or you can tent camp outside. It's calmer and more spacious than Miguel's.
BUt Miguel's has awesome pizza, cold drinks, a great gear shop, dogs, a basketball hoop, and super cool people (most of the time). Yet it's loud, crowded, and you won't get much sleep.
+1 Red River Rockhouse. Some of the coolest people on the planet work there.
And stop by the beer trailer to get your booze and check out the badass craig behind it.
Do with that advice what ya want.

By Chris Massey
May 9, 2014

LOTA. Go eat a Miguel's, hang there as long as you like, then head out. LOTA quieter, less crowded, and closer to Muir. I am however 40+ and my partying days are long behind me. I am there for the climing not the scene.

By Antonio Caligiuri
From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
May 9, 2014

Thanks for all the feedback. I still have to consult with my friends but it sounds like LOTA is more our speed, but we'll certainly still swing by Miguel's to check it out, same for the Rockhouse and Beer Trailer. Backcountry camping sounds fun but I might save that for our second trip, just to simplify things a bit.

Also does anyone know of anywhere to swim in the Southern Gorge? It's supposed to be pretty hot next week.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
May 9, 2014

you know you can camp in the forest pretty much at any pullout...just get a pass from the gass station. $5 for a three day pass.

Miguels food is ok and the campsite is meh. There are some perks such as running into old friends and catching up, less concern of theft....but its loud; be it the fratasticness or those damned frogs!!! I have nightmares about those frogs...i always hear them through my ear plugs.

By BryanSwearinger
May 10, 2014

You should look into Skybridge Sation. Its run by some great guys who are very familiar with the RRG. Beer on tap, food, supplies, great consignment rack, and about 12 beds upstairs (think hostel/bunkhouse). They also run KRAG guide service out of the same place. Only place in the RRG to get great locally (Kentucky) brewed beer on tap.

By ze_dirtbag
From TBD
May 10, 2014
cottonmouth

miguels.....just bring ear plugs

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
May 10, 2014
You stay away from mah pig!

Eat and hang at Miguel's, camp at LOTA.

By Blake Cash
May 10, 2014

Cody Ison wrote:
Y'all know little about the gorge. Go home FIFO's.

Says the guy who calls it the "gorge"...no one calls it the gorge except FIWKNATR.

By 5.samadhi
May 10, 2014
me

melatonin and ear plugs and miguels

By Dylan Pike
From Prescott, AZ
May 12, 2014
Myself pulling out of the hueco on Supafly.

Antonio Caligiuri wrote:

You can swim in the spillway to the reservoir. You pass it (its on the left) on your way to LOTA from the Interstate.