Rock fall at the Riverside Quarry

By duh
Nov 12, 2012
Near the end of the day on Sat 11-11-12, a bunch of us were climbing in the Hanging by a Thread/ Leviathan area. When without warning, several tons of rock fell from somewhere near the top of the cliff and blasted the base near the start of Salutations. Nobody was at the base at the time and nobody was hurt, though there was several teams in the impact zone and on Salutations earlier in the day.

We tried to determine to location where the rock fall originated but could see no evidence of it's origin. By the time we were back at the cars and could view the top of the cliff it was too dark to see anything.

I suspect the recent rain fall on Friday had something to do with it.

By mandarin
Nov 12, 2012
I wonder if was related to the group of kids running around with a BB gun towards the end of the day. As we heading back to the car around sunset, I got a bit nervous when we noticed the kids had climbed up around the backside and were hanging out on top near the Left of the Roof area. Didn't hear any rockfall, though.

By duh
Nov 12, 2012
We saw a couple of people up on top, near the lt side of the roof area and wondered the same thing. What we saw come down was the size of a stretch limo, if those 'kids' did trundle it, it must have been barely sitting there.

By Euan Cameron
From Redlands and Mammoth Lakes
Nov 15, 2012
Keller Peak climb
Its a quarry. Tension in the rock will cause rock falls.

I used to climb there regularly but after witnessing rock falls, one event being only a few feet from me I have decided to stay clear.

Unfortunately it is only a matter of time before something really bad happens...

By B-Real
From Southern California
Nov 16, 2012
Euan Cameron wrote:

I agree. Was there a couple years ago and a smart car sized boulder tumbled down about 30 feet to my left. Vowed to never returned. Went back last spring and large boulders came down near power play. Not a safe place to be. Routes feel unnatural. If a place needs that much glue to hold it together, the inevitable will happen.

By Ian McG
Nov 16, 2012
Really scary stuff. There have been some major events of natural rock fall, but to my knowledge most of it comes off at night?? Pretty scary for it to come off on a saturday afternoon.

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Nov 16, 2012
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Ka...
I have always thought of the place as ULTRA-ALPINE.

Every second is in the DEATH ZONE

By Zach Pickard
From Riverside, California
Nov 16, 2012
Roof romp
Guy Keesee wrote:
I have always thought of the place as ULTRA-ALPINE. Every second is in the DEATH ZONE

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

By Justin Tomlinson
From Monrovia, CA
Nov 16, 2012
Summit of Mt. Langley
That place is SKETCH to me! This is the exact type of event that freaks me out here. The fact that it has all been BLASTED means it's all loose. Sure, the "little" stuff has been "cleaned", but the big shit is too big to for people to trundle, and thus remains for moments like this.

SOOOO glad no one got hurt. Would've suuuuuucked

By Jan Tarculas
From Riverside, Ca
Nov 19, 2012
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tre...
I've been climbing at the quarry for a while now and have never climbed around the back to see the top of the cliff. Has any other climber been up there recently and assessed the top for further potential large rock fall? I would be interested in doing some cleaning up there or give my time/money in reinforcing any huge rock that has potential of giving out.

jan

By Ian McG
Nov 19, 2012
Jan, Further assessment could certainly be important. Seeing that JM was there to witness the event, I'm assuming this is already being pushed through the proper channels. I'd be surprised if the Louie hasn't heard about this yet.

By B-Real
From Southern California
Nov 19, 2012
Even Glouie doesn't have enough glue to keep those big boulders from falling. Make an easy choice and stop going to the quarry before someone gets hurt.

By gearwhore
From Orange, CA
Nov 19, 2012
^that was pretty funny (clever)..but the truth is the quarry has always had the reputation of being dangerous..long before the work that everyone is enjoying these days was done. It's a Quarry [shrug]

By Tank
Nov 19, 2012
B-Real wrote:
Even Glouie doesn't have enough glue to keep those big boulders from falling.

Sounds like a challenge?

By Jan Tarculas
From Riverside, Ca
Nov 19, 2012
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tre...
Hank Greene wrote:
Sounds like a challenge? Seriously though, the quarry is indeed a sketchy area. Considering that the place was repeatedly blasted back in the day, the amount of rockfall that happens really shouldn't be that surprising. I'm not going to stop climbing at the quarry since you can't find easily accessible granite like that anywhere in socal besides tahquitz.. and rocks never fall at tahquitz.

Agreed. Wear a helmet. And if you do happen to get splatterd/squashed by a giant boulder, at least you went out with a bang doing what you love...right?

By Ian McG
Nov 20, 2012
Also, it's more likely to get squashed by another car on the drive there. Or get mugged by some sketchy dude on the walk to the crag.

By x15x15
Nov 20, 2012
Ian McG wrote:
Or get mugged by some sketchy dude on the walk to the crag.

Sounds like the place is cleaner than in 1990! What's all the fuss. I was on an aid route back then and watched a car get dumped and stripped in seconds... Good times at quarry for sure.

Gotta love the inland empire...

By SCherry
From San Diego, CA
Nov 20, 2012
Trying to onsight 12a at Holcomb Valley Pinnacles.
yes, rock fall is a part of all climbing areas. curious if anyone has an update on this incident? did anyone go up to the top and have an investigative look?

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Nov 28, 2012
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Ka...
Go look at the size and shape of the rocks falling down.

Round weathered ones fall, or get pushed from the top.

Angular ones, that look like the rock we climb on, are from the face of the quarry.

These are the ones everybody sits on.... look around, you think a helmet is going to save you??????????????????

The granite will expand.... now that its not under- ground.

I treat the quarry, and I do like the climbing there, just like huge hanging glacers......if your under it and its time to fall off comes your dead.

So do your business and scram ASAP.

I like to sit just over the berm, down the hill a few yards, not right at the base.

Have fun