Rock climbing near Montreal, QC

By St. Mary
Feb 20, 2012

Hello, I am possibly going to be in Montreal for work next month, and was wondering if anyone knew if there was any rock to be climbed within a couple of hours drive from the city. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

By Drake Pregnall
From Morehead, KY
Feb 20, 2012
Leading up Eat Yourself A Pie 5.8+ at Barkeater in the Adirondacks

The Adirondacks in upstate NY are a couple hours away, and if youre ready to stuff some hand warmers in the chalk bag, youll probably find some dry rock to climb on

By St. Mary
Feb 23, 2012

Thanks, Drake. I was hoping to stay on the Canadian side of the border if possible. I did find some bouldering outside of Montreal, but beta is hard to come by, especially since dr. topo is offline.

By Graham Johnson
Feb 25, 2012

Montreal has some awesome climbing. Val David is a great area about an hour north of the city, with lots of trad climbing and some sport, Weir has a lot of sport climbing, Montagne d'argent is a private pay area with sport and trad climbing. There are also crags on just about all of the Montesian (sp?) hills - the granite lumps that stick out from the flatness of the surrounding area.

However, i see you're headed out next month - the rock will likely be either be too cold or too wet. Val David has some south facing faces that might be warm enough on a sunny day. So does Weir. There is also some climbing at a quarry on Ile Ste Helene (an island in the St. Lawrence)like a 15 minute bike ride from downtown, but it's not great.

enjoy Montreal - it's an awesome spot. At this time of year, there'll be awesome ice. Better to go ice climbing than rock climbing this time of year. La Cordee or MEC will have the appropriate guidebooks. Escalade Quebec (a forum site) will have more info too.

By St. Mary
Feb 25, 2012

Hey Graham, I really appreciate all the info, and this will help get me started. I did see there was some bouldering at Ile Ste Helene, but since dr. topo is offline I could not find any beta. With the ideas you have provided, I can at least do some more research. I would love to get on some ice, if the temps and weather do not cooperate, but would rather not travel with tools, crampons, etc.

This will be my fourth time in the city in the last few years, and you are right, it is a great place. Hopefully, I can sneak in some climbing while there. Thanks, again Graham, this is one of the reasons why I am part of this community.

Jason

By Dom
From New Brunswick Canada
Mar 6, 2012
Moby dick 5.11-

St. Mary wrote:
but since dr. topo is offline I could not find any beta.

Allô!

If you can read French, the Québec section of dr topo is still online!

Dr topo