Rock Climbing Group Near Park and Summit County

By Jennifer Santangelo
May 12, 2014
Free soloed a 27 foot wall.

I am looking for a group or a partner to climb with in CO! I live in Fairplay, but I am willing to travel. I would like to start in Park and Summit County.

By James Faerber
May 13, 2014
James at the start of Stairway to Heaven near Silverton Colorado

Hey Jennifer,

Central Colorado is a great place to live to be a climber ....other than a lack of partners. I am not sure what type of group you are looking for but I run a guide service based in Lake George Colorado called Outpost Wilderness Adventure www.owa.com, we are up in the Tarryall Valley close to a bunch of climbing. If you are looking for guides in the area we can help you out for sure. There is also a group of us guides who climb a lot in the greater South Park area and would be happy to give you some information about climbing close to home!

I am unaware of any other groups/clubs/etc... in the area.

Cheers, James

By Arik
From Silverthorne, Colorado
May 13, 2014
The Red.

Hello Jennifer, I live in Summit CO. and always enjoy climbing with new people as long as they are safe. There is a pretty decent sport climbing spot near Keystone that I plan on exploring a bit more this summer. Willing to belay if you prefer trad as well and follow. We also have a really nice Climbing Gym/Co-op right here in Silverthorne. If your interested let me know your schedule and we can get out there!

By Jennifer Santangelo
May 17, 2014
Free soloed a 27 foot wall.

Hi Arik,
I am actually still fairly new to climbing. I've just been bouldering and belaying in gyms. I would love to get outside and really just climb anything! Do you boulder? I am always safe when climbing. I am actually trying set up an appointment with Kent at Summit Climbing on Tuesday. Do you climb there often? If I can get certified for Summit on Tuesday we can totally meet up there if you would like! Or we can always take it outside next weekend.
Jennifer

By Arik
From Silverthorne, Colorado
May 18, 2014
The Red.

I climb at Summit a few times each week, if you do go Tuesday I would be happy to meet up and climb for a bit. It's definitely a great place to climb and get involved with. I do also boulder and have a pad. Now that the weather is a bit nicer I plan on getting out most weekends.

Arik

By Jennifer Santangelo
May 18, 2014
Free soloed a 27 foot wall.

Awesome! I'm waiting to hear back from Kent who will be doing my certifications. I will keep you posted. If you have a pad I am game to go out when ever. For now, I'm off Tuesday, Saturday, and Sunday. As far as rope climbing outside, I don't have a harness yet. Buying equipment is a work in progress for the summer. Thanks Arik!

By Arik
From Silverthorne, Colorado
May 18, 2014
The Red.

Sounds good. I'll wait to hear from you about Tuesday. I'll also send you a PM with my phone number if that's easier for you to get in touch with me.

By Andy B
May 19, 2014

Hey, sorry to hijack this thread but I'm going to be in the area this weekend and want to do some climbing. What are the climbing conditions like at Keystone/Montezuma this time of year? Is it still too cold or too wet with snow melt? Thanks.

By Jennifer Santangelo
May 19, 2014
Free soloed a 27 foot wall.

Hi Andy,
No worries. It is actually going to rain this weekend, so I am not sure how great the climbing will be. I heard that Quandry Peak (14er) is climbable now since a lot of the snow has melted. I'm not sure about Keystone.
I hope you have a great adventure!
Jennifer

By Jennifer Santangelo
May 19, 2014
Free soloed a 27 foot wall.

...as for rock climbing I am still learning the ropes. Arik, may have a few suggestions though.

By Arik
From Silverthorne, Colorado
May 20, 2014
The Red.

Hey Andy. It's been pretty warm and most of the snow around Montezuma/Keystone has melted off and the rock is completely dry.

By Andy B