Road into turkey rocks?

By LKathryn
From Boulder, CO
Jan 17, 2014
woof
Im heading to TR this weekend, wondering how the road conditions have been?

By Glenn Schuler
From Monument, Co.
Jan 17, 2014
A grey fox skull wedged in a crack 100' up on a FA I was working on - don't see that every day...
"The tree mentioned in 11/2013 post is still down. The diversion around is now well traveled with a relatively steep transition that requires higher clearance and suspension articulation than a Subaru. Overall the road is rough and snow packed. The roads turned slick and icy in the late afternoon."

From the TR home page posted yesterday.

By JenH
From Denver, CO
Jan 17, 2014
RRG
I submitted a conditions report update on the Turkey Rocks page. I went there Wednesday of this week. There have been a couple days of warmer temps so perhaps less snow and more mud. We had to clear one tree down over the road which was still attached by significant root ball. We chopped through it with a hatchet (dull) that we luckily had with in the truck. There is another tree that is large and has likely been down since November, and has an established and do-able drive around. It does have a steep transition. I wouldn't try it in my Outback as on the way out the downhill transition would be a nose digger, but another couple made it in with a Forrester. Leaving in late afternoon the downhill out had become quite slick and icy. With 4x4 and good tires there was still some controlled sliding. Wear boots or low gaiters for the hike up the hill to the saddle. Perhaps it's quite a bit better with the recent warm-up. The road is no more rutted than typical.

By Steve Taylor
From Lakewood Co
Jan 17, 2014
I have sent out an email to my good friends at the Coalition for the Upper South Platte ( a group which I volunteer with) to see if they will assist with the removal of these downed trees. This is what they do!! They are a great group of people!!

Check them out if you wish.

uppersouthplatte.org

By Jason Haas
From Broomfield, CO
Jan 19, 2014
Was there yesterday - It's a bit more rough than normal, but a Subaru made it there just fine

By Chris Dickson
From Colorado Springs, CO
Jan 25, 2014
Scarface, Indian Creek.
Just drove back there today and the road is in pretty decent shape. No logs across the road and it was only moderately snowy. Super warm and a great mid-winter day at Turkey.

By Ross Hokett
From Fort collins,Colorado
Feb 12, 2014
Super crack
Any updates was thinking this weekend?
Thanks
Ross

By Jason Haas
From Broomfield, CO
Feb 17, 2014
Ross, maybe it's a little late info now, but the road in was soupy but actually better than it has been in the last few months. The tree people were driving around on FS-360 has been removed and some of the big ruts have been filled in. A Subaru makes it fine.

However, there's a new downed tree a couple hundred yards before the actual trailhead on FS-360B. Either park just before that in one of the camping spots or bring a chainsaw and cut it (it's a small tree that would be easy to move).

By Ross Hokett
From Fort collins,Colorado
Feb 23, 2014
Super crack
The road is a little snowy but all trees have been removed.

By ARussell
Mar 17, 2014
Will snow on the fire roads be a problem in accessing turkey and other south platte areas next week?

By Jason Haas
From Broomfield, CO
Mar 17, 2014
The roads were basically dry as of yesterday

By JenH
From Denver, CO
Mar 25, 2014
RRG
Is the road still Subaru-able?

By ARussell
Mar 29, 2014
Yes, a friend had a Subaru out there this week.

By Mr. Stevens
From Boulder, CO
Apr 22, 2014
Bump

By B-Ray
Apr 22, 2014
Mr. Stevens wrote:
Bump any info on the roads as of late? What's the likely-hood of getting in with a subaru legacy?

Was up there today, roads were fine. There was a Buick in the parking lot when we left so I would not worry about a Subi Legacy.

By JenH
From Denver, CO
Apr 22, 2014
RRG
You'll be fine.

By Jason Haas
From Broomfield, CO
Apr 26, 2014
The two main roads into Turkey - FS-360 and FS-360B have been re-graded and you can (and someone did) get a Honda Civic all the way to the parking area no problem. There were 24 cars there when I left today!

As a side note, the parking area has been re-routed slightly by the forest service. The parking is now at one of the large camping areas. It's been expanded and is awesome. There's a new trail connecting into the old one and the hike is about 0.1miles longer (added three and a half minutes today to the approach and that was with two ropes and a double rack in my pack).

FWIW, the next South Platte volume guidebook, which will include Turkey Rock will be out this fall. I have a few obscure routes still on the north face of Turkey Rock itself and then it's off to the printer! Everything else is all laid out, just need to fill a few minor gaps.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Apr 26, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
Double awesome news, Jason! I have been waiting for your book to come out with much anticipation.

As for driving that road in my Accord, I think I'll go in my partner's Tacoma.