Road Conditions: Holcomb Valley Pinnacles

By Ian McG
Aug 4, 2012

Has anybody been to the south campground by parking lot rock in the last week? Is the road still flooded in some parts, or is it driveable?

By Rob Selter
From running springs Ca
Aug 4, 2012
me

no ponds as of last Tue.

By Alex Doria
From San Diego
Aug 7, 2012
Yosemite Valley, 2010

The road is back to its dusty self

By ccross
From San Diego, CA
Aug 12, 2012

It was flooded pretty good this weekend.

By Todd Cook
From Hawthorne, CA
Aug 12, 2012
me in Africa

Downpours Saturday & Sunday, 8/11 & 8/12--it's now a 4x4 mud bath.

I can only assume crossing in a low clearance vehicle would be catastrophic.

By ccross
From San Diego, CA
Aug 12, 2012

Saw some trucks go through in 2wd. About axle deep in some places with a 4runner.

By Chris Owen
From La Crescenta and Big Bear Lake
Sep 4, 2012
There's more than one use for an Ice Hammer. Lake District (UK) late '70s

My kids love it when it's a mud bath - me not so much as it makes washing the Disco a real chore. Went barreling through those pools once without closing the sun roof - bad idea.

By everbrad
From Inland Empire, CA
Sep 14, 2012

How's the road looking like to the south parking area with all the storms lately? Passable in a passenger car or no dice? Hoping to get there on Saturday to beat the heat.

By Chris G.
From San Diego, CA
Sep 14, 2012
The Gallery, Red Rocks

everbrad wrote:

Hoping to get out there Saturday as well. looking to head in the North way. Thoughts on either road conditions?

By Chris Owen
From La Crescenta and Big Bear Lake
Sep 14, 2012
There's more than one use for an Ice Hammer. Lake District (UK) late '70s

Pure conjecture but the north way should not be a flooded as the south way - but high clearance at a minimum will be required.

By Jetsetter
From Chino hills,ca
Sep 14, 2012

If you're set on parking lot rock there is a low clearance vehicle way around it. Head past Holcomb valley rd on polique canyon. Turn right on arctic canyon rd. When that ends take a right and a dirt rd takes you back to Holcomb pinnacles camp rd and then parking lot rock. This avoids the first part of Holcomb pinnacles camp rd which is littered with deep pools and no way around them.

Hope this helps! We'll have quite a group out there this weekend from some meetup websites.

By everbrad
From Inland Empire, CA
Sep 15, 2012

all right so who's getting up early to regrade the roads for me; I'll gladly pose for climbing pictures afterwards.

thanks for all the info. i'm intrigued about Jetsetter's alternate southern approach as it checks out on the orthophotos. I'll report on conditions after tomorrow. Might have 4wd regardless after all so bring on the mud and may the next guy in have a winch.

By shakti
From Riverside, CA
Sep 15, 2012

The mountain folk are very kind in regard to towing your car out, if that is any consolation. But, I've seen and been in a few too many vapor locking situations up there... Hope everything was clear and dry!

By everbrad
From Inland Empire, CA
Sep 17, 2012

several pools on the regular south approach (and probably not going anywhere anytime soon) but there are bypasses so in theory you could bring in a 2wd car (saw a few in the parking lot and there's a small pull off by the fencing right before the ponds where 1 car was parked, probably would add 15-20 mins to the approach but well worth it in my opinion) but you'd probably at minimum bottom out in several places so i'm glad we had my friend's high clearance 4wd. climbing trumped finding the alternate approach so I can't comment.

By randy88fj62
Sep 17, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades

Took an impreza outback sport through no problem this past weekend. Bypasses were easy with minimal ruts. No bottoming out or harsh road conditions.

By Chris G.
From San Diego, CA
Sep 19, 2012
The Gallery, Red Rocks

Took two 2wd trucks( one was a low tacoma) in the North approach, Absolutely no problem

By Ben Harrison
Oct 3, 2012
Rapping off Moosedog tower, Indian Cove, JT

Anyone know what it's like now?

By Chris G.
From San Diego, CA
Oct 3, 2012
The Gallery, Red Rocks

Ben Harrison wrote:
Anyone know what it's like now?

Just got back sunday. The North approach is dry as can be. Drove all the way in both cars 2 wheel drive

By Tank
Mar 14, 2013

Anyone been out there yet this year?

By Vicdjigs
From Duarte
Mar 16, 2013
Leading a unlisted 10b in Texas Canyon

Yes, the roads are open. However there is many snow patches. Which made the drive out there much more fun in my 4x4 truck

By Tank
Mar 19, 2013

doable in a Subaru (subaru-able?)?

By C Miller