Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
rigid friends
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
May 1, 2012
me climbing at lost horizon, NH
so sadly after many years with one of my trusty solid stem friends i have to finally retire it do to the trigger wire has snapped on my. does anyone know where i can get replacement wires or how to Jerry rig it but also still be safe?

thanks
PD
patrick donahue
From Gunnison, Colorado
Joined Mar 15, 2010
418 points
May 1, 2012
78 degrees north at 40,000 bearing about 220. Five...
fishproducts.com/index1.html

I think the Russ Walling is fabricating the trigger wires because Wild Country no longer sells the replacement kits for Friends older than 2001. Good luck
crewdoglm
From TAFB CA
Joined Dec 31, 2010
27 points
May 4, 2012
High Exposure
patrick donahue wrote:
so sadly after many years with one of my trusty solid stem friends i have to finally retire it do to the trigger wire has snapped on my. does anyone know where i can get replacement wires or how to Jerry rig it but also still be safe? thanks PD


I've repaired some. If you want to DIY McMaster-Carr is one place that sells thin stainless steel cable and crimps.
mcmaster.com/#standard-wire-ro...

IDK if a boatyard would have anything that thin. Sometimes thin SS cables are used as "leashes" to keep quick release pins and such on jigs and dies in a machine shop. Maybe Jergens, Reid Tool or MSC will sell small quantities.

If I think of it, I'll mike up some of the cable on my Friends and post back the actual diameter...
wivanoff
Joined Mar 3, 2012
121 points
May 4, 2012
High Exposure
wivanoff wrote:
If I think of it, I'll mike up some of the cable on my Friends and post back the actual diameter...


As promised: I measured the flexible stainless steel trigger bar wire diameter on several of my rigid stem Friends to be .050"
This makes sense, as the solid wire that attaches to the cam measured .056"

Hope that helps. Note that these were the original rigid stem Friends - NOT the forged ones.

EDIT: I just had a thought.. I'm pretty sure Guitar Strings come in that diameter. And deep sea fishing 'leaders'. Might be just the small amount you need.

- Bill
wivanoff
Joined Mar 3, 2012
121 points
May 4, 2012
Roadtrip!
Maybe check with Wired Bliss? wiredblissusa.com/ They're based in Loveland now, and I heard they do trigger repairs on other cams. ssimonson09
From Tacoma, WA
Joined Jun 9, 2010
10 points
Oct 12, 2012
wivanoff wrote:
As promised: I measured the flexible stainless steel trigger bar wire diameter on several of my rigid stem Friends to be .050" This makes sense, as the solid wire that attaches to the cam measured .056" Hope that helps. Note that these were the original rigid stem Friends - NOT the forged ones. EDIT: I just had a thought.. I'm pretty sure Guitar Strings come in that diameter. And deep sea fishing 'leaders'. Might be just the small amount you need. - Bill


FWIW, bicycle derailleur inner wire is usually 1.1 or 1.2mm which is about the same diameter.
bobbin
Joined Nov 16, 2009
0 points
Oct 12, 2012
aliens
Send them to wired bliss if you dont want to do it yourself.

I also had some wires and slings redone and they look great!

inexpensive also.
Ethan Henderson
From Silverdale, WA
Joined Oct 11, 2010
675 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.  
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!