rest day activities near red river gorge, late march

By CorbinW
Jan 23, 2013
looking at going to red river in late march looking for suggestions for rest day activities near the area.

By JCM
From Seattle, WA

By Brian Hudson
From Lenoir, NC
Valor Over Discretion (5.8), RRG
hah...+1!

By thecornyman
From Oakland, CA
mike
I've only been once, but for the month I stayed there I didn't find too much. Some awesome hiking, there's a movie theater I wanna say 30 away. And for my taste staying at Land of The Arches is way better than Miguel's.

By boo
Jan 24, 2013
If you are driving there and you can take a bike?, the road biking is challenging. I've had better luck on the north side of the gorge and oddly, the locals are pretty good at not trying to kill me. There is mountain biking there and it is fun. Check with the guys at Miguel's and they can give you more specific trail information. That information is informally passed along, best I can tell. Mountain View Drive In would be open in Stanton. Fun tailgaiting and rare American experience that is still available.

But short of driving to Winchester or Lexington, you get to make up fun for rest days at the Red. (:

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Jan 24, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!
I've always meant to check out the reptile zoo that is right at the turnoff from the parkway.

By Chris treggE
From Madison, WI
Egghead
Natural bridge state park is pretty cool for hiking and riding that gondola thing.

parks.ky.gov/parks/resortparks...

By PTZ
From Chicago/Colorado
Jan 24, 2013
Where? Wouldn't you like to know. You have to buy me a beer, then I will tell you.
Strip clubs in Lexington. They have good groceries like WholeFoods also in Lex.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Jan 24, 2013
The fishing in the area actually isn't 1/2 bad.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
JCM wrote:

Add West 6th Brewing in Lexington to your brew tour. They are the kind folks who donated all that free beer to our 2012 Rocktoberfest in the supposedly dry county we party and climb in. Cheers to West 6th..

By Chad Wagner
me
There are many natural Arches in the area that are great hikes. The best bourbon whiskey comes from Kentucky if your into that sort of thing. Drive in movie theater down the road but may not be open in march. Mammoth Cave isnt very close, but great none the less. Cave run lake S.P. is loaded with top notch Mountain Bike trails. The ALE-8-One(kentucky made soft drink) factory offers tours. Great waterfall and rope jumping at Eagle Point Buttress. Although its truly hard to take a "real" rest day at the Red.

By CorbinW
Woodchuck ATC wrote:

That has me wondering is there any place close by to buy alcohol or is it easier to come well stocked.

By timt
From Wheat Ridge, CO
on lead, Mean Green Cody,WY
I would check out Kentucky Reptile Zoo run by 3-finger Jim Harrison. He is a top notch reptile guy & has an amazing collection. I haven't personally been to the place in years, but have sent a few snakes his way. Good place to support also, because it is one of the few places in the U.S. that milks snakes both for research purposes & to aid in the production of antivenom.