Request to people posting routes

By John McNamee
From Littleton, CO
Dec 2, 2010
Artist Tears P3

Thanks

john

By Buff Johnson
Dec 3, 2010
smiley face
non-spell checkin bastards; bring em to the splatte, I take care. I know Jack Bauer

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Dec 3, 2010
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
Thz routt is verry gud. I thing its called a dihebral, but whatever U want to...

By Jay Knower
From Campton, NH
Dec 3, 2010
Technosurfing, Rumney. Photo by Seth Hamel.
John McNamee wrote:
When posting routes could you please run a spell check and capitalization at the start of sentences, etc. It is a slow and time intensive process to go through submissions and correct these sorts of things when they could be easily avoided in the first place. Thanks john

By slim
Dec 3, 2010
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
capitalization is just discrimination against other letters. just because a letter is lucky enough to be at the beginning of a sentence does not entitle it to be in upper case. my guess is that 50 years now, capitalization will be extinct. look at cursive writing. does anybody actually write in cursive any more???

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Dec 3, 2010
Bucky
John McNamee wrote:

By saxfiend
From Decatur, GA
Dec 3, 2010
Relaxing at the P1 belay of Fruit Loops at Rumbling Bald.
I know it probably sounds funny to some of y'all that John would post such a request, and the joke responses are all in good fun.

But seriously, I hope you can put yourself in John's situation for a moment. Those of us who are area admins get a large volume of route submissions, and most of us care enough about the route database quality to want to review them and clean them up when necessary before approving them. It's a lot more time-consuming than you might think.

Mountain Project's routes database is probably its greatest single asset, so any help you can give as a route submitter in keeping it that way would be deeply appreciated.

JL

By Buff Johnson
Dec 6, 2010
smiley face
All right, all right, all right; maybe I won't take such a hard line to the infraction'ees (or is that 'eers??); but they should owe a dollar in the beer bucket for each oopsadaisy, unless it's me 'cause I grandfathered myself.

By Andy Librande
From Denver, CO
Dec 6, 2010
Me in the Buddha Cave at crumblewood a while ago.
Maybe include a spell checker tool in Mountain Project?

Something where right next to the Submit button is the "Check Spelling", or if someone clicks submit it auto checks spelling and suggests changes.

But the reality is I assume that most people ignore the current tools that automatically check spelling. Only Internet Explorer doesn't have a built in spell checker (which I assume is ~50% of MP's users), so in the other cases people must be too excited to post that they don't even notice.

By Brian in SLC
Dec 6, 2010
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
Fairly easy to compose a route description in a program like Word, which has a spell checker. Then, cut and paste into the 'proj. Works well.

By -sp
From East-Coast
Dec 6, 2010
Buenos Dias!
Brian in SLC wrote:

Either switch to a browser, like Mozilla Firefox, that automatically spell-checks as you type, right in the browser window that you're typing your response in or download a free program.

download.cnet.com/ieSpell/3000...

By Bill Olszewski
From Colorado Springs, CO
Dec 6, 2010
Rrrrrrrrrrrr
I second what Brian said. I write my descriptions in MS Word which automatically tags misspelled words. Makes posting easy. But what happened to the MP spellcheck button that used to sit next to the submit button?

As for capitalization, I'm one of those who have become lazy, I think it's an internet thing. However, I do tend to capitalize when writing descriptions. But I think slim is correct, capitalization will be non-existant in the future, and probably a lot sooner than 50 years...

By esha
Dec 7, 2010
also Google Chrome will auto spell check for you like Firefox. it's a very nice and free browser, unless you are trying to print something, then it is not so good.

By -sp
From East-Coast
Dec 7, 2010
Buenos Dias!
Bill Olszewski wrote:

Having the browser do the same thing eliminates the step of opening a second program and then cutting and pasting. So if that's what you're comfortable with, great, but as I mentioned above, there is an easier way and if you’re not using it then you’re clearly not reaching your full laziness potential.

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Dec 7, 2010
You stay away from mah pig!
Unfortunately, I think that those most likely to post sloppy route descriptions are those least likely to read this thread. Or even be aware that they're posting sloppy route descriptions.

By Kevin Landolt
From Fort Collins, Wyoming
Dec 7, 2010
Interesting - explain this "spell-check" concept... is this software free?

By -sp
From East-Coast
Dec 7, 2010
Buenos Dias!
Kevin Landolt wrote:
Interesting - explain this "spell-check" concept... is this software free?

Click the link I posted a few replies above.

By Bill Olszewski
From Colorado Springs, CO
Dec 13, 2010
Rrrrrrrrrrrr
-sp: ha ha, nice. But I use MS Word 'cause I like to keep the stuff I've posted on file.

camhead: I think, unfortunately, you are correct.