Aug 30, 2013
theres been some ABM threads and info
the biggest criticism is that it is not releasable
heres directions on how to release it ...
a few basics on the setup ...
1. use the LARGER biner for the munter, and the SMALLER biner for the block
2. with the narrow side up, DO NOT setup up the blocking biner with the gate on the inside like the below
| || biner facing wrong way |
because this can happen
| || gate can open |
set it up like this, narrow side up, gate on the outside
| || gate on outside |
3. use a short draw to prevent the the munter from moving as yr pulling rope un
| || draw on blocking biner clipped to harness |
to prevent this ... the biner from moving under strands, which makes it harder to pull though it still locks
| || biner moved under strand ... |
to release ...
4. grab some slack on the brake side and tie it off to your harness, a munter mule if yr worried, an overhand knot or clove hitch is fine ... take off that draw clipped to the harness as was shown above
5. now with some slack in hand on the brake (holding it lightly basically), you can use BOTH hands to unlock the biner and and push the rope out ... it make take a slight bit of effort under load but you shouldnt have any real issues
| || getting rope out from the blocking biner |
6. the biner will now rotate under the load, and if large enough hit against the other ..
| || blocking biner rotates |
7. simply whack the biner sideways and push it THROUGH the other biner ... remember you can use BOTH hands, holding onto the slack brake strand lightly, which is also tied off
| || whack biner side ways |
8. be aware that the blocking biner will now go tumbling down unless you keep a hold of it ... undue your backup knot
| || biner go bye bye |
the above was shown with a petzl william for the munter, a BD rocklock for the block, and a tendon 10.2mm old fuzzy wuzzy rope
the ABM generally works best on thiner singles and halves, 9.5mm or less ... if you use a thick fuzzy rope like i did above ... use larger biners if you want to be able to release it the way shown above
thats all there is folks