Know the location of this area? Show us! We don't know it, but we're working on cool new features that need it!
You've seen it -- it's that big rock way back in the Rincons you see when you're heading back to Tucson after a day in the Stronghold.
Driving Approach: Drive east from Tucson on I-10 to the J-Six/Mescal exit #297 and turn left (north). Mescal Rd. soon turns into a good dirt road and about 15.4 miles from I-10 there is a well marked left turn to the Turkey Creek Trailhead (road #4408), shortly after passing a turnoff for the Miller Creek Trailhead. The road weaves thru a gate and camp area, angling right to the gate for a hiking trail that stays in the canyon. The dirt road from here turns to 4WD leading right, up onto a long ridge (1.4 miles) to the trailhead (~17.2 miles from I-10). The drive from mid Tucson to the trailhead takes about 90 minutes.
8 Total Routes
Browse More Classics in Reef Rock on Mica Mt.
Mountain Project's determination of some of the classic, most popular, highest rated routes for Reef Rock on Mica Mt.:
(5a) MC Runner 5.7+ 5a 15 V+ MVS 4b PG13 Trad, 6 pitches, 700'
(7) Fiona's Feelin' Groovy 5.7+ 5a 15 V+ MVS 4b Trad, 4 pitches, 570'
(6) Bombs Away 5.8 5b 16 VI- HVS 4c Trad, 5 pitches, 530'
(4) Supergoat and the Singing Sardines 5.9 5c 17 VI HVS 5a Trad, 4 pitches, 750'
(1) J- Cubed 5.9 5c 17 VI HVS 5a Trad, 4 pitches, 540'
(5) Cryptic Friction 5.9 5c 17 VI HVS 5a Trad, 4 pitches, 650'
(2) Short Story 5.10 6b 20 VII- E2 5b Trad, 1 pitch, 100'
Featured Route For Reef Rock on Mica Mt.
(7) Fiona's Feelin' Groovy 5.7+ 5a 15 V+ MVS 4b AZ : Southern Arizona : ... : Reef Rock on Mica Mt.
1. Climb crack under pointy block, traverse left to chimney and belay about 10 ft. below end of chimney on small stance. If rope drag is too bad, belay lower. (5.7 130 ft.)2. Diagonal right to bulge move at left end of narrow ledge. Left and up to fun stemming scoop that can be avoided on right. Clip bolt then diagonal up and left to chimney. Belay at tree on ledge. [Take note of the 2 bolt rap station further left on the other side of a large boulder. That is the top of pitch 3 of “Bombs...[more] Browse More Classics in AZ
News and Events For Reef Rock on Mica Mt.
Latest Regional Forum Messages
From Arizona & New Mexico Go to Forum | What's New | Post New Topic