Reducing heel lift/boot size?

By AK123
From Salt Lake City, UT
Oct 27, 2012
North Buttress Mt. Hunter, AK
Have a pair of size 45 La Sportiva Trango Extremes. When I get on mixed routes/technical terrain with them, they feel a bit big...especially when using a light-medium weight sock in warmer temps.

Has anyone had any success playing around with insoles, heel inserts, etc., to make boots fit half a size (or even a quarter size, I'll take what I can get) smaller? Also having this issue with my snowboard boots hiking steeper approaches now that they've worn in a descent amount....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!

By Ed Rhine
Oct 27, 2012
Yeah... used to fit boots a while back. You can totally do that. I would start with removing the stock liner and using super feet if you have not already done so. Then see what different thickness heel shims and rubber footbeds do. Would suggest starting out bit by bit and see how it feels.

By Harry Richardson
Oct 27, 2012
Do what the last poster said but if the fit still isn't what you want obtain below the ankle socks with little or no padding and add those to the fitting process. As with the footbed and shim process you will need to try different thicknesses of "thin" socks to obtain the desired fit. I have two diff size feet, use the Superfeet foot beds and have one similar pair of socks on each foot and one pair of thin mismatched socks on each foot as well. With certain boots I ditched the idea of Expedition or even Trekking weight socks and just used two pairs of socks in whatever combination best fit the particular boot.

By AK123
From Salt Lake City, UT
Oct 27, 2012
North Buttress Mt. Hunter, AK
Awesome, thanks for the tips!

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Oct 27, 2012
Middle
Don't feel married to Superfeet. They add a lot of heel rise that may not be necessary. I've found that depending on the shoes Superfeet lift my heel out of the heel pocket. Also, Trangos have a lot of heal lift already so I feel like I'm on highheels with Superfeet.

There are a lot of insoles out there that will change the volume and fit of your shoe/boot so try more than just Superfeet.

By AK123
From Salt Lake City, UT
Oct 28, 2012
North Buttress Mt. Hunter, AK
Thanks for the input, Ray. I've read some good stuff about the SOLE Signature EV Ultra, so I'm headed to try those and some other insoles out at my local shop.

By Ed Rhine
Oct 28, 2012
I actually have the SOLE insoles, was more referring to an after market footbed rather than a brand sorry. If you have a sander, you can actually shave down what you need to on the shims as well.

By Matt J
From Bozeman, Montana
Oct 31, 2012
Heres what I did, works quite well.

Use the ed ves SOLE inserts.

Depending on your crampon, remove the toe clip, this way you can cinch the strap around your ankle. I also picked up an extra set of crampon straps from BD which I use around the top part of the boot.

Heel life problem is taken care of, they are still a little sloppy in the ankles though, dont think anything can be done about that...