Red Rocks or Eldorado Canyon in early June?

By NickinCO
From colorado
May 25, 2011
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

I can't decide... For the last couple weeks I've been planning on driving (18 hour drive) to colorado to do some climbing around Boulder and check out the area. I was messing around online today and found a trip to vegas with non-stop airfare, rental car, and full condo rental for $500 for 7 nights. Vegas will end up being way cheaper at that price and there's still a ton of routes I really want to do at RR (this will be my 6th trip since nov.). What do you guys think? I'm assuming it'll be mid 90s at Red Rocks in June.

By Wally
From Denver
May 26, 2011

Nick - Red Rocks is pretty dam hot in June, although doable if you seek shade. I would lean towards Eldo. You also have Boulder Canyon, Lumpy Ridge, Vedauwoo, - all within a 2 hour's drive of Eldo.

Wally

By John Hegyes
From Las Vegas, NV
May 26, 2011
South of Windy Peak

I'd expect it to be above 100 in RR in June. Eldo and the Flatirons would be a lot better. On the other hand you'd have the routes pretty much to yourself in RR, whereas Colo climbing would be pretty crowded...

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
May 26, 2011
OMG, I winz!!!

Once you get away from the 1st flatiron in June it will not be crowded. However it could be hot but probably not as hot as RR.

By Joe Varela
May 26, 2011
View from Malander's Passage

Eldo may be hot in June also. But you can probably chase shade. Consider Lumpy Ridge too.

By Eric-D
From Las Vegas, nv
Jun 2, 2011

It has been very cool at RR this summer. Temps don't look like they will get over 90 for a few more weeks.

By Jonathan K
Jun 2, 2011
sampson

Eric-D wrote:

I second that its only in the high seventies right now in rr plus there is plenty of shade to be had.