Red Rock off width

By Nelson Day
From Joshua Tree, CA
me (about to sneeze)

Any recommendations from locals on some single pitch off width in Red Rocks? I am interested in anything in the 5.8 to 5.11 range.

Thanks!
Nelson

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
El Chorro

There is that wide corner I always see pics of... Cadillac Crack?

By Kiley B
Feb 25, 2013

Chrysler Crack is the classic 5.9 off-width of red rock.

By Kiley B

Also found this thread with a bunch of info. Red Rocks Offwidth List

By Adam Floyd
From Almo, Idaho and Las Vegas
Vegas the Dog

Not super OW but fun www.mountainproject.com/v/the-schwa/105896507

Short and not the greatest rock up top
www.mountainproject.com/v/sport-wanker-extraordinaire/107351>>>

My favorite though not roped
www.mountainproject.com/v/trophy-crack/107982290#a_108015835

By Andrew Mayer
top of mt. lady washington - rmnp

the Fox in calico basin. I've never done it but its a striking looking line, straight out of the Creek.

By sqwirll
From Las Vegas
Feb 25, 2013
Cool snow formation at the base.

Andrew Mayer wrote:

The Fox doesn't really require any offwidth technique, aside from maybe a heal-toe move or two.

By Weston L
From Summerlin, NV
Me at the good rest on Doggie Do

The Fox only has a few wide-ish moves on it. A few Thank God features keep it reasonable, however, it IS a stellar route that should get your attention.

By Tradoholic
Feb 25, 2013

Bros before hoes and please get my white tricam I had to leave in the anchor. It could really use a "real" anchor too ;)

By Nelson Day
From Joshua Tree, CA
me (about to sneeze)

Thanks for the recommendations. Pretty stoked on Chrysler Crack. Bro's before Hoes looks amazing... wish I had the gear. That's a lot of big bros.

www.mountainproject.com/v/bros-before-holes/107889066

By Nelson Day
From Joshua Tree, CA
me (about to sneeze)

I want to get on The Fox right now! That looks amazing! Even though it looks like mostly regular jamming...

By Andrew Mayer
top of mt. lady washington - rmnp

sqwirll and Weston - didn't realize there were some face holds where it gets wide. but I suppose one could not use those to get a more offwidthy experience (if offwidthy is even a word..)

By Dow Williams
From Saint George, UT
Dow Williams, 2011

My favorite "single pitch" OW in that grade range at RR is Xyphoid Fever- 5.10c

By Matt Kuehl
From Las Vegas
Feb 26, 2013
Plumbers Crack

5.8-5.11 is a huge range for OW. Start with these and see what you think... in general they get a lot more serious when you enter the 5.10 range... especially if it's a Herbst or Harrison route and require actual OW technique with funky/infrequent gear placements.

In First Creek there is Lucky Nuts (Right) 5.9 splitter squeeze variation start.

To the right of that is another one called Critical Cams 5.9.

Black Velvet has A Sweet OW Pitch 5.10

Calico basin offers Harsh Width 5.9 and

Big Wank.

These are all great beginner OW's, including Cadillac Crack.

The Fox is a far cry from an OW, it just takes big gear. (Great climb though) Xyphoid Fever is also not really an OW but still fun.

Squeeze On

By Nelson Day
From Joshua Tree, CA
Feb 27, 2013
me (about to sneeze)

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm heading to Yin and Yang area on Saturday. Going to jump on Atman, Yin and Yang, short wank, big wank, and possibly Sport Wanker Extraordinaire. Will work into some of the other recommendations for sure. I appreciate the ideas... I will have to come back and hit up a lot of these areas with some partners sharing my interest. Here's a list of the wide I have led so far:

Ernie used to box (indian creek)
Championship Wrestling (Joshua Tree)
Modern Warfare (Joshua Tree)
Kamikaze Crack (my favorite in Joshua Tree)
The Dolphin (Joshua Tree - way easy)
The Orphan (Joshua Tree - awesome climb though only 1 offwidth move)
Big Bob's Big Wedge (Joshua Tree - haven't linked it all up yet)
Agony Arch (Riverside Quarry - some offwidth on it, but not really off width per se)

I have done a few squeeze chimneys, but I suppose they don't really count... I appreciate the recommendations.