Red Rock Climbing access. 4 WD vs 2WD

By DeJay
From Englewood, CO
Oct 20, 2013

What could be benefits if I drive 4 WD from Colorado to Red Rock climbing area? How many areas need 4WD for climbing?
With a quick math, the gas cost will be almost doubled if I drive my Xtera instead of Camry.($510 vs 230)

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Oct 20, 2013

In my limited experience, you don't need 4WD for RR. Getting to Black Velvet Canyon is better in a high-clearance vehicle, but I don't think there's anything to be gained by 4WD. Most of the trailheads are passenger-car friendly.

I'm sure one of the locals will chime in with more accurate info.

By Jeff G.
From Fort Collins
Oct 20, 2013
Nearing the end of Thank God Ledge.

No 4WD needed. Black Velvet road is a little bumpy at the end but no high clearance needed.

By Darren in Vegas
From Las Vegas, NV
Oct 23, 2013
Skiing around.

I have taken a Honda Civic back to Black Velvet. Not the best idea, but I went slow and it worked out. I also see lots of normal passenger cars out there on weekends. If you are looking to get a higher clearance vehicle, a few more options around Vegas open up. You can always do what I did, get a 4WD truck for climbing and camping and a motorcycle for commuting (one of my bikes gets 40+ mpg).

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Oct 27, 2013
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering

I'd just take the camry. No need to go to black velvet canyon unless there is a climb there that you HAVE to do. So many other classic routes around the loop

By Ricardo Bravo
From Sparks, NV
Oct 28, 2013

I saw a couple of Pruises/Prii at the parking area of Black Velvet Wall a couple of weeks ago and was surprised that they made it there. So 4WD is definitely not needed.

By Weston L
From Summerlin, NV
Oct 28, 2013
Me at the good rest on Doggie Do

Echoing what others have said - high clearance is nice to have, 4WD not necessary.