Red River Gorge Guidebook

By Edward_
Apr 7, 2013
Hey all, so I'd like to go to the RRG this year, and I know the Wolverine Ray Ellington book is the one to get, but I see its now split up into Volume 1 and Volume 2. Any recommendation which one to get for the classics?

Thanks

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Apr 7, 2013
it splits down into the nothern gorge (older routes) and southern gorge (newer routes) like PMRP and Muir Valley) Going to have to be more specific as to waht you are looking for. Also check out redriverclimbing for online guidebook.

By EricSchmidt
Apr 7, 2013
Depends what and where you want to climb.

They are split into two sections, RRG North and RRG South. The south book has mostly newer sport crags which include the natural bridge region, Muir Valley and the PMRP.

North has stuff in The Gorge area, which is primarily trad but also has some sport crags like military, left flank, phantasia, etc.

By Edward_
Apr 7, 2013
which routes are better, N or S? probably looking for sport climbing, unless there is a particularly awesome trad route.

i've never been to RRG so i'm looking to see get in all the best climbs as possible in 1 week.

By EricSchmidt
Apr 7, 2013
I would definitely get the South guidebook, that is where probably 70% of the people climb these days. If you are looking for sport climbing I would spend most of your time at Muir or the PMRP. There are some great trad climbs in the South book as well it just happens to have a majority of the sport climbs too.

Like someone else said check out redriverclimbing.com they have an awesome online guidebook that can give you an idea of where you will want to spend your time.

By Edward_
Apr 7, 2013
cool thanks!

By Rob Davis
From Brooklyn, NY
Apr 9, 2013
It's worth it to get both just to go to some of the other little easy access crags near miguels.