Recommendation for climbing AND fall leaves viewing

By JustinJD.
From Denver
Sep 13, 2012

So I was able to talk my climbing partner into heading up on Sunday morning but we'd like to also pair it with a little hiking to view the changing colors here in Colorado. Usually I wouldn't try to pair the two but he's bringing his girlfriend and if I want to climb this weekend I need some ideas to take are of both birds with one stone. So here is what I was hoping someone could recommend:

-Sport or Top Rope climbing in an area that would have some Aspen groves or nearby hiking to view the fall colors opportunities.
-Within 1.5 hours of Denver
-Not a huge approach

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
J

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Sep 13, 2012
Epic free solo with a pack on

Jurassic Park at Lily Lake might fit the bill

By Tony T.
From Denver, CO
Sep 14, 2012
Getting up the Great Dihedral on Hallet Peak, RMNP.

I think Independence Pass might fit the bill. I'm not sure how much TR'ing you can do up there, but there are fantastic routes in a high setting. I'm sure the area is seeing nice splashes of gold right now. I'll be up at Conundrum in a few days so I'll let you know. =p

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Sep 14, 2012
Bocan

Tony T. wrote:

Agreed, but it certainly is not within 1.5 hours of Denver. Not a day trip.

By Andy Novak
From Golden, Co
Sep 14, 2012
Living the High Life.

Ironclads or Ironsides near Allenspark. On the way back take the Peak to Peak highway to Ned for some nice color. Very little approach to short but good bolted routes, some hiking, and great color in the area. Perfect.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Sep 14, 2012

There are some nice aspen stands in the Splatte.
If I recall correctly, back in the goose creek area and by Keystone Buttress there were good mature stands. Check pictures of the various crags in the books and see if they show up in the pics to confirm.