Really good instruction near Seattle

By Dallas R
May 7, 2014

We will be leaving Smith Rock soon and heading up toward Seattle and the cascades. One of the things that has become apparent in our climbs here, and particularly when we climb with others, is that our climbing education has a couple of holes in it.

I was hoping someone from the Seattle area could recommend a good rock climbing class. Not a guide, but real instruction. Not a beginners course; but stuff like belaying from a top anchor, self rescue, lead climber belay, escaping from a difficult route, muti-pitch strategy, trad placement.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
May 7, 2014

Guides don't just guide trips - they give classes and instruction, too.

Here is one I have used for many years, but it's in North-Central Washington. I highly recommend them:

www.ncmountainguides.com/

If you can afford it, regardless of which guide service you use, I would recommend a private course, rather than a group class. Way better.

By Tico
May 7, 2014

Yup, hire a guide for a day and tell him or her what you want to learn. Also check out www.mountainschool.com

if you're sticking around Smitty's, timberlinemtguides.com

By Ryan Huetter
From Mammoth Lakes, CA
May 7, 2014
From Mountain Magazine (Bruce Carson's first clean ascent of Sentinal Rock's West Face)

KAF Adventures. Mick is an excellent educator.

By paul winkler
From Washington, District of Columb
May 7, 2014
Nrg paul

Had great instruction on some multi-pitch routes from Chris with Treks and Tracks. Good dude. www.chriskalman.com/#!guiding/clwa or cjkalman@gmail.com

By megmagoo
May 9, 2014

agileclimbing.com/

or find agile through facebook "agile climbing"

You should set up a class with Agile. Calvin is the lead instructor and he is extremely experienced and will design a class specifically for you. On top of all that, the prices are a steal of deal.

He's got different level classes depending on your level of ability and your experienced. Plus.. he will work with you to decide where you want the class to be held- north cascades, leavenworth, index, mt eerie, the exits... maybe you can even tick something off your tick list that weekend!

I learned how to lead trad by doing a formal class and it really made a huge difference in not only my actual skills, but gave me confidence in my knowledge and confidence that I was doing things the "right" way.

Good luck!

By DuncanKL
May 9, 2014

I had a great experience with NW Mountain School, which Tico mentioned. Give them a call and explain what you want. They are much more flexible than their website makes them sound.

By Ashort
May 9, 2014

I too have had a good experience with NW Mountain School, and I would highly recommend them.

By coppolillo
May 9, 2014

One of the best guides in North America is just up the road in North Bend--Martin Volken and Pro Guiding Service. To echo the sentiment of a couple others here, good guides are fantastic educators/instructors...and Martin is one of the best.

Look him up. He's Swiss trained and certified, been in the States for years, great guy with whom to spend time in the mountains.

Have fun!