Re-slinging/ Re-wiring

By Eli Buzzell
From Traveling with AmeriCorps
Jul 11, 2013
somewhere in the whites

Where can I get old Hexes re-wired?

I'm sorry if there is a thread about this already, I can't find one about rewiring.

By mark felber
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Jul 11, 2013

Why do you feel the need to re-wire them? New Black Diamond wired hexes are $10-$16 each,wired stoppers are $9-$10. I can't imagine any competent person replacing the wires for much less than that. Factor in shipping or travel to and from wherever the repair person is, and replacing wires on passive pro starts to look like false economy.

By Tomtomtomtom
Jul 11, 2013

cause economy != ecology?
Sure, it's cheaper to produce half-finished parts in america, ship them to china, have them anodised and assembled there (and likely dump the anodising acids in a river) and ship them back than to take a piece of cordalette and tie a double fisherman to an already produced but still funtional piece of gear.

By Davis Stevenson
From Flagstaff, Arizona
Jul 11, 2013
Following up a new route out in the Mojave Desert.  Info coming soon maybe?  Fun 5.10 hands and fingers.

Tomtomtomtom wrote:

Use dyneema/titan if you can:

www.rei.com/product/782828/bluewater-55mm-titan-dyneema-acce>>>

By mark felber
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Jul 11, 2013

Re-slinging makes sense, I've done it with slung gear (hexes and cams) for years. It was the re-wiring that I was skeptical about.

By Tomtomtomtom
Jul 11, 2013

I agree, I wouldn't rewire, so small nuts are definately shot when the wires are, bigger ones can be saved if you don't mind the lower ergonomics of not having a stiff wire but the OP asked about hexes. And as you stated you have done it yourself... Well... The OP has her answer (as in sod the wired hexes, sling them with cordalette) and we agree on the other points, good night I guess? :p

By Eli Buzzell
From Traveling with AmeriCorps
Jul 11, 2013
somewhere in the whites

Tomtomtomtom wrote:

I'm male. I hate you.

Thank you everyone else though, I'll sling them when I get the chance.

By Luc
From Montreal
Jul 13, 2013
The El

Davis Stevenson wrote:

Triple fisherman for dynema. It's stiffer than nylon.

By Mike Caracciolo
From Broomfield
1 hour ago
Bae and I.

So... I'll be shunned for asking but whatever.

I have hexes that can only fit 3mm accessory cord. REI has 3mm cord rated at 2.8kn. That's a little over 600lbs. That's fine to yell take on and hang but I wouldn't want to take a fall on that. The dyneema everyone suggests is 5.5mm is there 3mm?

And where would one be able to get their hexes or nuts re-wired? Please just answer where you could get it done. I've read the lecture above and know I'm going to hell if I do it.

Thanks!

By Larry S
23 mins ago
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.

if they were mine, and the cables were really shot & I had to replace them, I wouldn't have any concerns with drilling them out to fit 6 millimeter cord, but I would round all the edges and deburr the crap out of them.