Re slinging old BD cams with powercord

By Kody Spencer
From Ascutney, VT
Sep 19, 2012
Leading Wheaties at Eagles Bluff
Good Idea?

By ParkerKempf
From atlanta, GA
Sep 19, 2012
sweet belay on El Cap Spire, Salathe Wall El Capit...
if you look on BD's site it discusses why their method of slinging (that little extra fold thingy on the C4's) is stronger than using just a webbing/cordage loop. i send mine in to get reslung by them but i mean, powercord will work fine...

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Sep 19, 2012
if you're talking about the Camalots with the thumb stud (i assume you are), powercord should be fine. I'd go with 8mm, the fatter the better. Be sure to keep an eye on the tails of the double fishermans.

By Gunkiemike
Sep 20, 2012
I have no problem with THIS

DIY resling
DIY resling

By JohnnyG
Sep 20, 2012
not a good idea

read this:
blackdiamondequipment.com/en-u...

my take home point:
1)just send it to BD for a re-sling

By Brad W
From San Diego
Sep 20, 2012
Do you guys even read the link you keep posting from?

What generation "old" camalot is it? That will determine the answer.

By Kody Spencer
From Ascutney, VT
Sep 20, 2012
Leading Wheaties at Eagles Bluff
just like the one in that picture

By sanz
From Raleigh, NC
Sep 20, 2012
One of my first trad climbs, Ooga Chocka at Crowde...
JohnnyG wrote:
not a good idea read this: blackdiamondequipment.com/en-u... my take home point: 1)just send it to BD for a re-sling

This doesn't make sense to me. It seems like the bartack/knot would be just as likely to jam into the thumb stud with a single loop of cord/sling as with a doubled loop. Right? I mean, either way, the sling is free to rotate and could end up with the knot at the stud. As long as you are conscientious of where the knot is when you extend, it seems like it would be fine to me. BD's just on that resling hustle.

By wivanoff
Sep 20, 2012
High Exposure
Kody Spencer wrote:
just like the one in that picture

Then you have your answer. Go with what John Wilder and Gunkiemike said.
That old style Camalot might even take 1" tubular webbing. That's what the old rigid stem Friends were slung with.

The new style Camalots with the thumb loop should be re-slung by BD, imo.

By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Sep 20, 2012
sanz wrote:

Well, if you double loop it, then you have to have enough play in the sling for doubling to work, which means a large enough loop for the sling to side. Then, you risk having the bartack jamming up in there,which is not ideal. They actually use very small, separate loops on the DMM Dragons just so they can keep the doubled sling. The sling loop on an old-style Camalot is too big for the problem to be avoided.