Ranier routes Early April

By Paul-B
Nov 26, 2012
Flakes of Wrath

I'm a medical student, I am taking my first board exam March 30, I then have 2 weeks off, pretty much my only time off for a year. Been wanting to do Ranier for quite a while, looks like I might actually have the time then. Looking for route recommendations for that time from people that have done it. If it looks like it will work out, I will be training hard all winter. Also interested in finding a partner....

By Paul-B
Nov 27, 2012
Flakes of Wrath

Bump

By jeff walker
Nov 27, 2012

i've done rainier but not in april. weather conditions and avalanche risk are the biggest considerations at that time of year. easiest access is from paradise. gibraltar ledges route is often used in winter. look at mike gauthier's "mount rainier: a climbing guide" for info. posting up for partners in the appropriate forum on cascadeclimbers.com is a good way to find other climbers.

By Paul-B
Nov 27, 2012
Flakes of Wrath

Thanks. I'll check out cascade climbers. I was looking at The Gibraltar ledges, seems like theist common early season route, but there are lots of winter options, was hoping some people that had done some would comment on the route they took. Was also considering trying to get a ski decent in, obviously route and avi condition dependent.

By Wally
From Denver
Nov 27, 2012

Rainier in early April could be a serious endeavor. I don't sense Rainier is done too often in early April. Would be curious to hear from those who have climbed Rainier either in winter or off season, such as early April.

Wally

By sqwirll
From Las Vegas
Nov 27, 2012
Cool snow formation at the base.

I've done Gib Ledges in early May before. It was a pretty decent snow year, so the route was straight forward. We came down the Ingraham Direct and I was wishing I had my skis.

Like Jeff said, weather and avi conditions are going to be your biggest obstacles.

By Rich zz
From california
Nov 30, 2012

hey i'm in med school too and i want to do rainier, but around may.