Rainbow Wall in late March?

By The Coop
Nov 30, 2012
I was wondering if anyone here knows what the typical conditions would be in late March on this route? Thanks.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Nov 30, 2012
The Coop wrote:

Totally depends on the winter. Temps could/should be fine, although that time of year usually sees a nasty storm come through.

If it turns out to be a huge snow year, there could be a fair bit of snow on the slabs below and possibly on the Over the Rainbow Ledge up high on the route.

But generally, I'd expect temps to be good, maybe a bit cool in the shade.

By John J. Glime
From Salt Lake City, UT
Nov 30, 2012
...
Snow and ice commonly melt off the ledges above the route creating terrifying moments. This usually happens in March... give or take.

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Jan 24, 2014
(Thread resurrection)

It sounds like March is a tad early for the Rainbow Wall. What, then, is the optimal time to climb it? April? Early May?

By Dow Williams
From Saint George, UT
Jan 24, 2014
Dow Williams, 2011
I have been on it in stellar conditions in May but I am sure most of April is pretty damn good as well.

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Jan 24, 2014
Dow Williams wrote:

So, not too hot in May, given the shade/elevation/wind?

What is the earliest or latest that it might be sensible to plan a trip there, assuming that you are seeking "good" conditions (not so hot that you grease off the cruxes or die on the approach, but not so cold that you freeze at belays)

By Mitch Musci
Jan 24, 2014
I climbed it in late march and the conditions were perfect. Temps on the wall were in the 50s - 60s. We spent the night on rainbow ledge and it did not freeze. Perhaps we got lucky with no storms.

By Highlander
From Ouray, CO
Jan 25, 2014
Climbed it in early May and had perfect temps on the wall. It stays in the shade all day and was just cool enough to want a light wind jacket when not climbing. Hike in early when its cool in the morning, climb the route in the shade and hike out as the sun is beginning to set and you have a great long day of climbing with nice temps all the way around.

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Jan 25, 2014
Highlander wrote:

Is that you, Dan? I'll have to hit you up for some infos at some point.

Do you know if Will has done it? I've been thinking through who I should try to talk in to going out there, and he popped into the head as an obvious suspect.

-Jon

By Ian Cavanaugh
Jan 25, 2014
I climbed it in May a few years ago and it was perfect. in and out in the light. good temps, little cold in the morning but perfect once we started moving. Day light is a good thing for this one. Plan for a few hours in and out, plus whatever you think it will take to climb it. I think we only brought 1 70m rope. the rappels work with that.

By WMcD
Jan 25, 2014
Jon, it's pretty much at the top of my list for the spring. Let's talk!

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Jan 25, 2014
Will McDonald wrote:
Jon, it's pretty much at the top of my list for the spring. Let's talk!

Brilliant. We'll talk for sure.