Rain Days in the South...

By Rob Davis
From Brooklyn, NY
Mar 12, 2013
Well, it's spring climbing again and a lot of us are going to be stuck on climbing trips with only one or two days of actual climbing. What are some of your favorite rainy day activities?

At the New, I've had a fine time "exploring fayetteville" (all two blocks of it) and of course heading to the bridge and driving down to the base to see the old bridge. I know there are some covered routes at summersville, but I'm not climbing hard enough so I mostly chalk up rain days as "days better than being home". I'm not really willing to trek out to endless wall to that one 5.10 that is covered (exo....) though I'm sure this year I will.

At the red I got nothing. I have no idea what to do on rainy days at the Red.

In tennessee I've had good times in Chattanooga on rain days. The town isn't the worst, by any means. At rock town you can head to atlanta for a few days worth of rain day fun.

I'm just curious to hear what others do. I have friends that find cover and slack line, or sit and read, or get a hotel and watch tv...

By EricSchmidt
Mar 12, 2013
Rob Davis wrote:
At the red I got nothing. I have no idea what to do on rainy days at the Red.

Uhhh you go climbing? No such thing as a rainy day at the red.

By Jeff Thilking
From Lynchburg, VA
Mar 12, 2013
Rap
If you enjoy climbing pretty overhung roof sport routes than the Obed is a good pick.

By Rob Davis
From Brooklyn, NY
Mar 12, 2013
EricSchmidt wrote:
Uhhh you go climbing? No such thing as a rainy day at the red. But if you don't feel like climbing you could go to lexington for the day, check out the Kentucky Reptile zoo in slade, go bowling in beattyville, hang out at miguels and surf the internet. Or you could just go climbing.

Of course the red is a bit ideal as far as rain goes... climb steep, never wet. but super duper cold days plus 20 minute hike and rain make me want to stay in my sleeping bag no matter how "just a little bit wet" the rock is. I'm either a wuss or just kind of like being warm (southern after all)

By EricSchmidt
Mar 12, 2013
Rob Davis wrote:

By Rob Davis
From Brooklyn, NY
Mar 12, 2013
EricSchmidt wrote:
The rock isnt "just a little bit wet", it is totally dry if you pick the right spot. Bring an umbrella for the 10 minute walk to the crag and you wont be wet at all. I guess if sitting around reading a book is what you want to do on youre "climbing" trip I guess do that instead.

whoa mr snippy did I catch you on a bummer day?

I'm serious though, sometimes you get lucky and your rest days line up with your rain days and there's nothing better than that feeling!

By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Mar 12, 2013
Me on One Pitch Wonder at Whitesides.  Photo credits to Kyle Jones and his lucky anti-rain jacket.
The only thing guaranteed to stop me from climbing when on a climbing trip is the dew point. I won't climb when the walls are sweating like that. Cathy's Creek is a pretty good rainy day option if your in the southern Blue Ridge area. I wasn't too thrilled with Lexington when we spent a day there. Atlanta has the best rainy day crag in the SE, Stone Summit. Most of the guide book introductions cover the majority of non-climbing rainy day options. I get way too anxious to sit around and read a book when I am away. I hear white water is pretty good when it is raining.

By J Watts
Mar 12, 2013
Bust out the rain gear...

@ the red; check out the arches/natural bridges, they are everywhere along with other impressive geology. Hike the Clifty Wilderness area. Hang out in the Land of the Arches hangar. Drive to Lexington?

@ the new; RICO! also Labor Day if its not torrential, junkyard bouldering cave. Some of the Meadows cliffs stay dry as they are quite steep. as you mentioned there are a few climbs on endless that stay dry. Whitewater rafting/kayaking if you are into that. Diogios/pies for brews. Drive to Lewisburg?

@chattanooga; I was only there once, it rained/snowed most the trip. I spent most of my time leading up wet moderates. It was freezing cold so we didn't go to Fosters or Obed. The aquarium(expensive), rock city overlook. Eat at Hillbilly Willies BBQ (better than Shuffords)
Climb indoors(yuck) Drive further south?

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Mar 12, 2013
El Chorro
This thread makes me miss Roger.

By Ronbo
From Indy
Mar 13, 2013
WV
Damn Ryan I was just thinking the same thing. He is such a good guy. I really miss that fresh kaymoor brew in the am.

By J Watts
Mar 14, 2013
Ron! How the hell are you! The New should be coming into season shortly, lets get at it. Thanks again for the OG reverso, works great!

By Andrew Blease
From 4runner, parking lot, USA
Mar 14, 2013
Learn to paddle. It's the best complement to climbing because it's best to paddle when there's lots of rain.

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Mar 14, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!
EricSchmidt wrote:

Uhhh... condensation will hose you. There are definitely rainy days where rock is unclimbable.

Rest day activity at the Red: go to the reptile zoo. I've never done this, but want to sometime.

By Ronbo
From Indy
Mar 14, 2013
WV
Whats up J? Id climb with you anyday. Hit me up soon.

By Javier L
From Asheville, NC
Mar 14, 2013
Bermuda, DWS
How is Cathy's Creek in the rain? It's advertised as a rainy day crag but I haven't ventured out to find out for myself. Next Tuesday seems like the perfect time to find out if anyone else is interested.

By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Mar 15, 2013
Javier Licon wrote:

Not sure what you are asking. It is a rainy day crag. Most of the lines stay dry when it is raining. A few seep a little or will be running near the anchors. It is a really short hike from the car, so no long drenching approach. The approach however can be a little slippery in places when it is wet. Don't expect all the lines to be "high quality". Many of the routes will require some brushing off or careful inspection of some holds. Until it sees a lot more traffic, you should use some caution on some of the more broken looking climbs. Avoid the 5.7, unless you like climbing through bird pooh. Old Crow is awesome!

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Mar 15, 2013
Javier Licon wrote:

the two times i've climbed at chossy creek crag i mean cathy's creek were in torrential thunderstorms...it stays dry

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Mar 15, 2013
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.
Some crags are obscure and have a long approach. Warm rain days are great for exploring and checking stuff out that you're unsure of the quality or location. That way when it's warm, sunny, and dry, you won't waste your time hiking a rope and rack to some place you wanted to check out if it's not worth it, and if it is worth it, but hard to find, you'll already have determined its location. Just an idea.

By Rob Davis
From Brooklyn, NY
Mar 18, 2013
Been chasing dry weather in the new for the last few days. Got on rico and had a blast at the bridge and the few hours of warmth and sun at osswald. At the red now and anything dry is crowded. Surprised by how empty the new was compared to the red, but psyched to find stuff tomorrow.

Even the "dry" stuff at military was soaked.