Quality Tent for Car Camping

By jasoncm
Apr 19, 2013

Hey People,

I have 3 months travelling around the USA and Canada coming up. I will buying a car in BC but dont know if I will end up getting a decent size van.

I am looking for advice for a two person tent to use for longer periods of time that has a reasonable amount of space. I already have a light back-packing tent but want to get something for all the times we will be camped for more than a week.

Regards

Jason

By Adam Stackhouse
Apr 19, 2013
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013

I have an REI Base Camp 4 which is nice for car camping.

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Apr 19, 2013
At the BRC

I think any of the REI 4 man tents would work well.
We have a Kingdom 6 which we use for 4 people and it's excellent. Plenty of room and stays either warm and dry or breezy and cool depending on how it's set up. The 4 man version should be fine for 2.

REI has an extremely lenient return policy too, as Bearbreeder can attest.

By EricSchmidt
Apr 19, 2013

Yep REI basecamp 4 is hard to beat... Super big and super easy to set up. Also after you use it for a year or two and it gets beat up you can return it for a new one.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Apr 19, 2013
modern man

car camping tent- www.sierratradingpost.com/alps-mountaineering-summit-tent-6->>>

sign up for an account with them and you'll get a 25-35% off coupon within a week

i've used this tent for two years in a row on a windy and rainy island so it works, especially if you keep shit inside it.

By sibylle
From Colorado
Apr 20, 2013
Stone of Ignorance.

I'm looking for a light tent to car camp. We're flying to Europe, so light weight ( or size) in luggage is helpful. Does anyone have ideas for tents good to fly with, and then car camp?

By Malcolm Daly
From Boulder, CO
Apr 20, 2013

Jasoncm, the Cadillac of car camping tents is the Sierra Designs Mirage II. It's a roomy 2-person with a standing-height vestibule in which you can fit two camp chairs, a cooking table, food box and cooler. The vesti has roll-up sides and top so it can serve as a shade structure, mosquito porch or full-on sanctuary from a storm. Check it out:
www.sierradesigns.com/p-569-mirage-2.aspx

Sierra Design Mirage 2. Vestibule is in "shade" mode. Mosquito net sides can roll down or it can be  completely sealed for storms.
Sierra Design Mirage 2. Vestibule is in "shade" mode. Mosquito net sides can roll down or it can be completely sealed for storms.

A heads up:
The stakes that come with it are crap. I buy 10" tent pins (like giant nails) for the corner and side stakes and have 6, 2-foot sections of 1/2" rebar for the guy-outs. a 2 lb sledge installs them. Don't forget the orange plastic safety caps to prevent bloody shins.
This tent is too big to fit on a standard BLM tent pad, which is usually 9' x 9'.
Bring one of those Mexican/Indian blankets to lay out on the ground in front of the sleeping tent. It makes it a nice home.
This tent survived 5 days on the beach at the Laguna Madre where constant 25 knot winds were interrupted by 40 knot gusts.

By Malcolm Daly
From Boulder, CO
Apr 20, 2013

sybille, wait to buy a tent in Europe. The big stores there are full of great lightweight car camping tents that aren't available in the US or Canada. Their distinguishing feature is a great vestibule under which you can hang out in the rain. Which it does, alot. The closest thing available here is the Hilleburg stuff but that's probably expensive overkill for car camping.

www.hilleberg.com/home/products/nammatj/nammatj3gt.php

By Jon Marek
From SLC
Apr 20, 2013
gossamer

I personally love my Kelty Gunnison 2.1

By EricSchmidt
Apr 20, 2013

David G. wrote:
I once new a kid that got all the way through high school track on one pair of shoes. By that I mean he returned them every few months saying they had worn out too quickly. He'd brag about it, likely not knowing we all thought less of him for doing it. We're all wired to trust people who help the community out and shun people who put others down, take advantage of the system, and so on. I hope you'll let the growing opposition to your posts on this forum sink in a bit. Help is only a click away link

Hook...line... and sinker.

Good job. Anyone else wanna get worked up about people abusing the REI return policy? Usually thats what any thread with the mention of REI turns into, I was just seeing how long it would take.