Quail Fire in SLC

By Tristan Higbee
From Cambodia
Jul 3, 2012
Me on a mixed route Crisco and I did in Rock Canyon.
Anyone know how the Quail Fire has affected/is affecting climbing areas? From the photo on the page there it looks like it's burning up Bells Canyon? I was on Twin Peaks, Sunrise, and Dromedary today and there was a ton of smoke up there. I thought LCC was on fire.

By Tristan Higbee
From Cambodia
Jul 3, 2012
Me on a mixed route Crisco and I did in Rock Canyon.
Here's the smoke over Sunrise Peak.

Heavy smoke coming up over Sunrise from the direction of Lone Peak/LCC.
Heavy smoke coming up over Sunrise from the direction of Lone Peak/LCC.

By wilcox510
Jul 3, 2012
According to KSL American Fork canyon is was evacuated and is closed. I think the fire is right by Lambert Park, which is north (I think) of the mouth of American Fork canyon

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Jul 3, 2012
The route in it's entirety.
ksl.com/?sid=21104059&nid=148&...

By Daniel Winder
Jul 3, 2012
A couple of my buds came down Lone via Alpine this afternoon. They had no problems getting down but they saw SAR on dirtbikes clearing out the hamongogs

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Jul 3, 2012
The route in it's entirety.
Did they get smoked out in the cirque or get down before the fire started?

By Perin Blanchard
From Orem, UT
Jul 4, 2012
Racking too much gear, as usual.
Mine was the first car turned away at AF this afternoon, so we went to BCC.

On the drive home I could see the south line of the fire clearly. It hadn't reached the ridge separating AF Canyon from where the fire is burning (and the wind is from the south, so it might not ever crest the ridge).

Also, there was much less smoke than earlier in the afternoon. (I got to the mouth of AF Canyon at 4:00pm. I was driving home on I-15 about 9:30pm.)

By Alex Quitiquit
From Salt Lake City
Jul 4, 2012
meow
I was climbing in the Cirque today and the smoke never really reached the meadow or peaks. We were on the summit wall when it started and watched it for the remaining pitches. It was truly intense.

By Perin Blanchard
From Orem, UT
Jul 4, 2012
Racking too much gear, as usual.
AF Canyon still appears to be closed: (road closures appear in the upper right of the page under "Incidents").

Quail Fire information (as well as information about all other major Utah wildfires) can be found here.

Channel 13 seems to be regularly updating their coverage.

By Rockwood
From West Jordan
Jul 4, 2012
Spring in Zion
I was climbing in the Pentapitch area last night, the 3rd, till after dark and we could just barely see the smoke up the canyon. We couldn't even smell it. Looked like you would near Alta but it wasn't reaching us.

By Kevin J
From Salt Lake City
Jul 4, 2012
St George
Alex Quitiquit wrote:

I was thinking about heading up to the cirque tomorrow. Is there still runoff/snow to be used for water? I know it was a super dry winter and I'm just wondering if I need to bring any water up there. Thanks.

By Eric and Lucie
From Boulder, CO
Jul 4, 2012
There was still some snow and afternoon running water in the cirque as of Saturday. My guess is it won't last much longer though. We were camped in the secondary basin just west of the cirque proper and used a tiny stream for water. The flow rate noticeably dropped over the 4 days we spent there.
BTW, we were just below the second meadow when we noticed the starting fire... got us worried for a while so we hurried down. By the time we reached the trailhead 90 minutes later, the fire was most of its way up to the ridge... scary.

By Eric and Lucie
From Boulder, CO
Jul 5, 2012
Specimen wrote:

I posted a recent picture here: mountainproject.com/v/lone-pea...

By Alex Quitiquit
From Salt Lake City
Jul 5, 2012
meow
Specimen wrote:

You have about a week left I presume. There is water to be had, it's just running out fairly quickly.

By Eric and Lucie
From Boulder, CO
Jul 5, 2012
The cirque and the Alpine approach are officially closed because of the fire:

Quail fire closure map (from <a href='https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWeb/UTWCF/2012-07-03-21:08-quail/picts/pict-20120704-171048-0.jpeg)' target='_blank' rel='nofollow' >inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWeb/U...</a>
Quail fire closure map (from inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWeb/U...

Anyone knows if the fire has reached the Alpine approach trail and/or the hamongogs?

By Perin Blanchard
From Orem, UT
Jul 5, 2012
Racking too much gear, as usual.
According to this KSL story the AF Canyon road is now open.

The latest Forest Service closure order indicates the same.

Note, however, that entire Lone Peak Wilderness is still closed.

By Eric and Lucie
From Boulder, CO
Jul 6, 2012
Answering my own question about the fire affecting the Alpine approach: apparently, as of yesterday (07/05/12) it had not (other than from the closure, that is).
Here's the map:

Map of Quail fire and associated closures (07/05/12)
Map of Quail fire and associated closures (07/05/12)

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Jul 6, 2012
The route in it's entirety.
Bummer, I was planning on heading up to Lone Peak tomorrow morning.

By Eric and Lucie
From Boulder, CO
Jul 7, 2012
The Lone Peak cirque and all standard approaches are now open again
Quail Fire closure map 070612