Puerto Chico in December, looking for info!

By Maria Inpyjamas
From Canada, Eh
Aug 19, 2014
love hurts.
Hey! I'm heading to Puerto Chico in December, this is my first attempt at climbing internationally, so I'm still trying to figure out how it works.

I've been researching and it seems that Posada seems like a fair place, but I'm not sure how to actually get climbing...? I'm assuming there are guided climbs/private tours/courses/random climbers?

What are my chances of being able to climb NOT with a guided tour, or is it a better bet to just book with a tour?

I found Posada's website was difficult to navigate (perhaps its my device... or just me...) and I couldn't really find any definitive prices/dates for courses or guided climbs. I am coming on my own so I will likely have limited gear.

Currently, I climb at about 5.10 on TR and about 5.8 on crag. I know that most stuff is harder than this, but I am keen!

This post is sort of all over the place, but any first hand experience info would be awesome!!

Also... if anyone is heading there around the same time- I make great company and I can sing you songs on the ukulele :)

By Kiri Namtvedt
Aug 19, 2014
You mean Potrero Chico, I presume! I was there in 2009, and stayed at Posadas. It was a great base; the park is just a ten-minute walk away.

Regarding guided climbing vs. finding a random climber to climb with, it depends on what you want to get out of this trip. You might be able to find a partner on mountainproject, or hook up with someone else when you get there. It sounds like you're travelling there by yourself? I'm sure you could also line up a guide. Have you looked at Magic Ed's website?
magicedspotrerochico.com/

I'm not sure what you mean by guided tour.

There are many friendly routes, so your level of climbing shouldn't be a problem.

By Maria Inpyjamas
From Canada, Eh
Aug 19, 2014
love hurts.
Haha yes, thank you- I seem to have trouble reading my own writing!

Basically what I meant by "guided tour" is like... if you have ever gone scuba diving overseas, usually people will join a dive, which is essentially a guided tour under water. Is the how climbing works? You join a group of people and a guide will take you to the crag? Or do climbers just go on their own?

I'm not that keen on just hiring a private guide, for one thing its way out of my budget!

I have a few weeks in Mexico, but this trip is not strictly a climbing trip- I'll be traveling independently all over the place, but I want to squeeze in some climb time. Having said that, at most I will probably only have shoes and a harness (if I can even fit it in my pack!). I would assume that to have any access more gear you would have to go through a climbing school.

Any suggestions on the best way to get my climbing in? I guess just set up camp and scope it out!

Thanks for the website!!

By Taylor Journey
Aug 20, 2014
Posada is ~5 minute walk from the entrance to Potrero Chico. If all you have is a harness and shoes, there's a chance you can pair up with someone down there, but getting a guide may be a better/more polite option.

Don't worry about setting anything up beforehand, Hidalgo/Potrero Chico is a small place and there's climbers and guides there regularly. Just show up and if you can't find a partner, inquire with the folks at Posada about hooking up a guided day.

I'd recommend a bit more than just harness and shoes, however. Your belay device, a couple lockers, and a double length sling don't take up much room in a bag, and you'll need all of them. Some pitches down there are quite long, too, so having some quick draws to throw in (if you're looking for a partner) certainly won't hurt. Also, bring your helmet.

By Kiri Namtvedt
Aug 21, 2014
I can imagine you might find some people who have hired a guide for the day who might be willing to let you join their group if you pay your share of the guide fee.

You might also be able to find random climbers who are willing to climb with you or have you join their group. It would be a good idea to have a helmet and belay device as well as the harness and shoes (and of course you should be prepared with your own water and food for the day).

I've never done the "show up and find a partner" thing, but I know a lot of people successfully do that! Good luck!

By Pontoon
From Minneapolis, Minnesota
Aug 21, 2014
I recommend a chalk bag.

By Ed Wright
Aug 21, 2014
Magic Ed
Potrero Chico is very easy to navigate and finding partners is never a problem.

Make sure your shoes have plenty of rubber (the rock here eats rubber) and be prepared to climb hundreds of glorious meters every day.

Check out my web site and feel free to pm me if you have any questions or concerns.

magicedspotrerochico.com

By Maria Inpyjamas
From Canada, Eh
Aug 21, 2014
love hurts.
Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm starting to wonder weather it might be a better idea to leave climbing out of this trip and go back in February to dedicate more time only for climbing... it seems as though more gear is the better option! :)

By Matt Sourisseau
From Toronto, Canada
Aug 31, 2014
Possum Lips @ Military Wall, Red River Gorge
If you're going in February, hit me up! I might be in the area between the 13th and 21st but currently don't have a partner either.

By José Guerrero
Sep 2, 2014
Hey Maria!,

I am a local climber from Monterrey, Biggest city near Potrero Chico. Currently I am abroad but will be back home on February. If you are looking forward visiting Potrero on those dates we can do some good climbs. I can also connect you with some friends from Monterrey who are climbing on the weekends on potrero.

Cheers!