PT/bodywork for back imbalances? recommendations for provider, success stories?

By mountainhick
From Black Hawk, CO
Aug 4, 2013
I have had a back problem for 20-25 years, had PT a couple times, but never got resolved. I feel it has compromised my movement ability, and is sometimes just a literal pain. For other reasons my health insurance deductible has been met for the year and I'd like to take the opportunity to see someone who really can help a back such as mine. Looking for recommendations for PT/bodyworker in the Golden/Evergreen/Boulder/Denver area.

And, anyone gotten through seized up scarified muscle and postural imbalances through such work? What worked for you?

By Erik W
From Bay Area, CA
Aug 4, 2013
North face of Ama Dablam - taken on approach to Kongma La.
Steve Melis @ Pro-Active does outstanding bodywork. He's over in Gunbarrel, which might be a bit far for you, but I definitely can say he rocks at fixing things via bodywork. Get ready for the pain.

pro-active-chiro.com/

By BGreen
From Del Norte, CO
Aug 4, 2013
I have recently discovered the benefits of Rolfing. Nothing else was helping my problem and after one session it had shifted and changed for the better. Going for session 2 this week. Theory involves the entire connective tissue system as opposed to targeting the injured area. I would imagine there are a few good ones on the front range. However, its most likely not covered by insurance.

By R P Finney
From Boulder, Colorado
Aug 4, 2013
Chris Downing - emeraldbodywise.com

He fixes athletes.

Be careful of PTs they are out for money first.

By mountainhick
From Black Hawk, CO
Aug 4, 2013
Thanks for recommendations! websites for these providers say nothing about accepting health insurance, so I think they are out of the running. Advantage of PT, is covered by insurance and my deductible is already paid for 2013. In network PT provider won't cost me a cent.

By ErikaNW
Aug 4, 2013
Rapping off the Matron October, 2010
R P Finney wrote:
Be careful of PTs they are out for money first.

Wow. Um...No. My average insurance reimbursement for a 60-minute visit (that is 60 minutes of hands on skilled therapy) is around $70. And a large percentage of that is going to clinic overhead. So, no, not exactly in it for the money. I spend most of my time teaching future PTs now at Regis University, and can tell you I have yet to meet a PT student (or a PT) who is out for money first. You must have had a bad (and unusual) experience.

As far as recommendations.....

Check out Patty McCord at Evergreen PT - she has a fellowship in manual therapy and is great.

evergreenptspecialists.com/hom...

Kim Bozich at Cactus Sport & Spine (Littleton) is also fantastic and teaches as an affiliate faculty at Regis.

cactussportandspine.com/staff....

All of the PTs at Waldron's Peak in Boulder are also top notch (looks like they also own Sirona PT in Golden - I do not have experience with them).

waldronspt.com/

Keep in mind that chronic LBP can be difficult to treat/manage, and you are not likely to find an overnight solution/cure for something you have struggled with for 20+ years. However, you should notice changes in a positive direction within 3 sessions, and if not, need to have a serious conversation with your health care provider (PT, DC, or whoever) about whether you are on the right path (they might need to change their working hypothesis).

Good luck!

Erika

By Jeff G.
From Fort Collins
Aug 4, 2013
Nearing the end of Thank God Ledge.
bodywisept.com/

Laura at Body Wise in Boulder is amazing. She is a very skilled PT and she's a 5.12 climber and understands athletes and especially climbers.

By mountainhick
From Black Hawk, CO
Aug 5, 2013
Thanks Erika and Jeff!

I had a disappointing experience with Sirona, I think I'll avoid that connection. Others look like potentially good leads

By Jeff G.
From Fort Collins
Aug 7, 2013
Nearing the end of Thank God Ledge.
Hey Ben, I saw on your profile that you were with NOLS. Laura worked for NOLS for many years and was also a guide with Jackson Hole Mountain Guides in the Tetons. You probably know a lot of the same people.

By mountainhick
From Black Hawk, CO
Aug 7, 2013
Jeff G. wrote:

Sure enough! I saw her profile and figured it would be a good match. Have an appointment for next week