Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Preparing for Red Rocks
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 2 of 2.  <<First   <Prev   1  2
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By Pitty
From Marbach
Apr 18, 2013
My cool Elly....
Dow Williams wrote:
"Having" it is no replacement for knowing how to use it, no matter how bold a gym climber one might be.


I know, and I know how to........:-)

FLAG
By Thomas Beck
From Las Vegas, Nevada
Apr 18, 2013
beck on limestone
i don't know why you are even posting about this. if you've done Cloud Tower in good style...then you know what to bring. The rack looks good.

Only suggestion is you may need a couple more over the shoulder runners, a couple bail runners and maybe a screw link or 2 if you are going out to the hinterlands. All that is available locally.

FLAG
By Pitty
From Marbach
Apr 18, 2013
My cool Elly....
Thomas Beck wrote:
i don't know why you are even posting about this. if you've done Cloud Tower in good style...then you know what to bring. The rack looks good. Only suggestion is you may need a couple more over the shoulder runners, a couple bail runners and maybe a screw link or 2 if you are going out to the hinterlands. All that is available locally.


Thank you, maybe you're right, wanted just a confirmation although I was quite sure to have everything.

FLAG
By Dow Williams
From Saint George, UT
Apr 18, 2013
Dow Williams, 2011
I know it is prob not fair, but folks who post photos of their gear collection for the sake of "check out my gear"...make me nervous...I would be prejudice about roping up with them...like I said, sure it is not a fair assessment, but one I would make just the same.

FLAG
By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Apr 18, 2013
At the BRC
Dow Williams wrote:
I know it is prob not fair, but folks who post photos of their gear collection for the sake of "check out my gear"...make me nervous...I would be prejudice about roping up with them...like I said, sure it is not a fair assessment, but one I would make just the same.


I don't know, but seems to me you might be reading too much into it. If somebody schemes and saves and slaves to collect a big rack, then I can see why they might want to show it off. Not something I would do, but I'm not sure it reflects badly on their climbing competence.

FLAG
By Dow Williams
From Saint George, UT
Apr 18, 2013
Dow Williams, 2011
I have never fantasized about nor thought climbing gear was worthy of bragging about, posting photos of, etc. I realize there is a set of folks who do harbor this type of personality. For some reason, what I have witnessed, in the field anyway......that same set of values seems to be lost on focusing on the climb itself or skills required to use their hoard of gear properly. The only rationale I can attribute it (and it is grasping at straws psychologically I realize), is that some folks are much more excited about the idea of being a climber and what that represents to their friends and family and urban areas....versus the solitude and personal challenge involved in really understanding what you are doing, the movement involved, protecting those moves and performing well in general. I see more and more gear "whores" for lack of a better term who seem a bit to involved in the idea of the gear versus its actual proper use.

FLAG
By Pitty
From Marbach
Apr 18, 2013
My cool Elly....
Dow Williams wrote:
I have never fantasized about nor thought climbing gear was worthy of bragging about, posting photos of, etc. I realize there is a set of folks who do harbor this type of personality. For some reason, what I have witnessed, in the field anyway......that same set of values seems to be lost on focusing on the climb itself or skills required to use their hoard of gear properly. The only rationale I can attribute it (and it is grasping at straws psychologically I realize), is that some folks are much more excited about the idea of being a climber and what that represents to their friends and family and urban areas....versus the solitude and personal challenge involved in really understanding what you are doing, the movement involved, protecting those moves and performing well in general. I see more and more gear "whores" for lack of a better term who seem a bit to involved in the idea of the gear versus its actual proper use.


Hey, Maybe I'm just so fu...... nervous and can't wait until the moment of departure arrives.... I prepared my gear for the journey and found "wow, that's pretty much" and held it for a good idea to post it, asking you (with a smile) if something could be missing.
Didn't make it for showing off.....

FLAG
By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Apr 18, 2013
At the BRC
Pitty wrote:
Hey, Maybe I'm just so fu...... nervous and can't wait until the moment of departure arrives.... I prepared my gear for the journey and found "wow, that's pretty much" and held it for a good idea to post it, asking you (with a smile) if something could be missing. Didn't make it for showing off.....


It'll be a lot easier to psychoanalyze you if you'll just mind your own business and stay out of it!

:-)

FLAG
 
By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Apr 18, 2013
At the BRC
Dow Williams wrote:
I have never fantasized about nor thought climbing gear was worthy of bragging about, posting photos of, etc. I realize there is a set of folks who do harbor this type of personality. For some reason, what I have witnessed, in the field anyway......that same set of values seems to be lost on focusing on the climb itself or skills required to use their hoard of gear properly. The only rationale I can attribute it (and it is grasping at straws psychologically I realize), is that some folks are much more excited about the idea of being a climber and what that represents to their friends and family and urban areas....versus the solitude and personal challenge involved in really understanding what you are doing, the movement involved, protecting those moves and performing well in general. I see more and more gear "whores" for lack of a better term who seem a bit to involved in the idea of the gear versus its actual proper use.


I think there are some folks who just like gear and some of them turn out to be pretty good climbers. There are also a lot of new folks with lots of new gear, and many of them don't last long enough to really absorb the essence of the sport. This latter group gives the former a bad name.

FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 2 of 2.  <<First   <Prev   1  2