Post variants under routes?

By Tradoholic
Jun 22, 2011
I would like to suggest allowing variants to be posted underneath boulder problems as if the original problem is an "area" and the variants are "routes" of that area.

This would help eliminate clutter to certain areas on MP where variants of one or two problems clutter the route list. So, when you click on a boulder problem that is the only place you will see the variants.

Here is the original forum this came up in: mountainproject.com/v/posting-...

By steple
Jul 8, 2011
Bouldering in the valley, problem name currently unknown to me.
I'd love to see that feature. Variants should have their own rating and should be tickable. Not only interesting for boulder problems (stand start, sit start) but also for routes (5.9 variation on pitch 3).

By Tradoholic
Oct 9, 2011
More evidence in support of this proposal: mountainproject.com/v/the-prof...

By Dylan Colon
From Eugene, OR
Oct 12, 2011
Me fishing for gear on an onsight of Mung.  Photo by Gokul Gopal.
I strongly agree that something like this is needed. This would be the most appropriate place to post eliminates (some of which have significant historical precedent), direct starts/finishes, and pitch variations.

While one might say these things could be posted in the comments, information about variations on climbs (some of which are more fun than the original route) could easily be buried in the less useful comments that are the norm for comment sections, making valuable and important information hard to find.

By Doug Hemken
Oct 13, 2011
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.
Yes, it would be nice if the route database was restructured so that routes and sub-areas could sit side by side within an area. An analogous organization problem would be the file directory on a computer.

That would make route organization vastly more flexible!

By ben jammin
From Moab, UT
Dec 13, 2012
Aesthetics
Bump for this thread. I was looking for topics on adding variations and this is what I found.

Anyway this could be done or put in the works? There are a lot of boulder problems that would go at a different grade when adding a sit/stand. I'm not sure if I want to add variations as their own problems.... Any advice on this or a way to just add variations under the original problem?
Thanks!

By ben jammin
From Moab, UT
Dec 13, 2012
Aesthetics
I personally like the idea of being able to add variants under the original problem.