Ponderosa Access/road to Corral

By Eric Whitbeck
May 10, 2013
Anyone know if the FS road out to the Corral is open?
Thanks

By Owen Summerscales
From Los Alamos, NM
May 14, 2013
Gerle creek at loon lake
Eric, Im looking into it. It makes no sense as you can effectively drive around the long way just fine - ie turn off the FS10 and endure a bumpy ride down.

Apparently its the only gate in the jemez ranger district that hasnt been unlocked this season. Also the recent travel management plan specifically highlights the 269 as a route that is going to be kept open during the summer.

By Owen Summerscales
From Los Alamos, NM
May 14, 2013
Gerle creek at loon lake
Oh and also we have spent the winter putting up a lot of new problems at the corral, so it really is a cool place to visit now. There's some very nice problems. Around 80 at the last count. PM me for more info.

By Eric Whitbeck
May 14, 2013
Thanks for the info. Let me know if you here anything about the road and I look forward to trying some of the new lines up there.

By bruno-cx
May 14, 2013
shirtless wonder
Spent some time out there years ago with the crew that developed that area, late 90s. Lots of sensitive archeological sites with some good lines every few boulders.

The range is better in IMO but I could have missed a lot.

By Owen Summerscales
From Los Alamos, NM
Sep 30, 2013
Gerle creek at loon lake
So, eric. Bad news. Looks like the FS have decided to permanently close the section of FS269 which links ponderosa to san juan mesa. ie. access to coral, booty blocks, mega blocks is all by foot. Access to range means driving from the north down 269.

fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUM...

In the winter we do the hike to the coral regularly. 1 mile, moderate uphill, takes 30 mins and gets you fit. Its just a bit frustrating to be walking on a perfectly good road!