Poll: How many MP users have actually ever climbed?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By VerticalUrge

By Benjamin Chapman
From Small Town, USA
old 1/4" bolt.

We climbed outdoors for thirty years before we ever heard of MP. MP is a time pit like Facebook or FarmVille.

By Josh Kornish
The Roach

I'm a n0000b

By Rob M
From Fullerton, ca
Jun 6, 2013

9 years. I like the beta pics.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
OTL

Outside? That's crazy talk, man.

I climb in a controlled environment where all the holds are labeled for me and the temperature is just right for shirtless + beanie sending - you know, like 90% of the 'climbers' out there.

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
Aiding.

Wait, this is a climbing site? I thought it was about gardening. No wonder I'm so confused...

If I told you how I long I'd been climbing, then you'd know how old I am. Screw that! You young 'uns would laugh at me. But yes, I've climbed outside, for more than one season. On my own. On lead even! It's crazy, man! :-)

By Brad Caldwell
From Deep in the Jocassee Gorges
Jun 6, 2013

Hilarious! Never really considered that most folks on MP are just a bunch of noobs and gym climbers, but it makes the plethora of moronic posts make a lot more sense. Been climbing outdoors for over 20 years and only climb in a gym every Xmas season while visiting family in Portland (most gyms really suck but The Circuit gyms are pretty awesome) I've climbed/led single & multipitch trad and sport, FAed a few easy single pitch trad/free solo routes and near 1000 boulder problems in several southeastern states, primarily SC.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Jun 6, 2013

If you really rock climb, you can get hurt. That's insane, man.

I saw that Alex Handhold guy on TV once.

How do they get the rope up there?

How do you get back down? With one of those wingsuit thingies?

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
At the BRC

Brad Caldwell wrote:

Hey, it's dirty outside and there's no coffee.

By kennoyce
From Layton, UT
Climbing at the Gallery in Red Rocks

VerticalUrge wrote:
Ok, fess up, MPers!!! Who here has actually ever climbed? I mean actual outside, technical climbing type stuff with the funny shoes and harness and all? Personally, I've toproped in a gym twice, climbed at a 20 ft. cliff in NH once (also TR, but HARD!), and dabbled with free soloing (more like glorified scrambling! Ha!). Sometimes I feel like maybe i don't have the experience and general intelligence to contribute to this site, but I do anyways! Anyone else here fall into this category?!?!?

Sometimes I look at pictures of people climbing outside on the interwebs and I daydream that it is really me, does that count?

By Norse Force
From Front Range CO
Jun 6, 2013

Closest I have gotten to real climbing is as a stand in for the movie "Vertical Limit".

By mountainhick
From Black Hawk, CO
Jun 6, 2013

Must be a 34 year hallucination, this climbing nonsense.

By Morgan Patterson
Stoked...

VerticalUrge wrote:

Most of the photos on the site are Photoshop'ed don't be fooled.

By Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jun 6, 2013
Cleaning up in Jenny Lake.

CaptainMo wrote:
Most of the photos on the site are Photoshop'ed don't be fooled.

Human beings can't actually climb vertical rock. What would you even stand on? Pretty obvious that it's a sham.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man

I'm still waiting for my yoga pants and beanie to show up from REI before I'm climbing anything and I have an appt. next Monday to get a tribal band tattooed on my arm. By a week from Friday I think I may be ready.

What do you guys think about Link cams? I'm thinking I should buy a set or two as well.

By cjdrover
From Somerville, MA
Jun 6, 2013
Taken at MWV Icefest 2014.

I went sport rappelling once. On a related note, I am listing 14 figure 8's for sale, $50 each.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Benjamin Chapman wrote:

LOL!! That's an accurate evaluation. Friend of mine directed me here years ago,,now he's not on site anymore but I still hang out here between real world rock climbing tours.

By Greg D
From Here
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

VerticalUrge wrote:
. Sometimes I feel like maybe i don't have the experience and general intelligence to contribute to this site, but I do anyways!?!?

Why?

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
OTL

VerticalUrge wrote: Sometimes I feel like maybe i don't have the experience and general intelligence to contribute to this site, but I do anyways!?!?

Greg D wrote:
Why?

If everyone self-policed their posts like this, MP forums would have no content at all!

By Hamilton Kibbe
From Boston, MA
Jun 6, 2013
About to set up a fire TR anchor

Benjamin Chapman wrote:

I always thought of climbing as a time pit like Facebook or Farmville, you know, something to waste the time you could be spending on MP

By Christiney
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Horseman

Hahahh well defn I've seen a lot of the trolls who post and don't climb. They are usually spreading dysfunction and ire around MP.

I always know someone doesn't climb if they ask me if I rappel. For some reason this is a common question non-climbers ask me. Well yes, I do, but it's just the way to get down after the climb and not the highlight, at all (sometimes more like a chore). If you climb, you rappel.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
...

What I have been doing on the rocks all these years resembles climbing. But it would be wrong of me to call it that.

By Christiney
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Horseman

Locker wrote:

Sunning, probably you are sunning like a lizard.

Fact: most lizards don't consider what they do to be climbing, or a hobby or sport. They just do it.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
...

I've also been known to do a great "Lounge act".

;-)

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
tanuki

I have never climbed, but I Prancercise regularly.

By ChaseLeoncini
From San Diego, California
Jun 6, 2013
El Cajon Mtn. Leonids. 5.9.

Nope never. But i ate a brownie once...

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>